-- --

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

How to Get From Here to There

Inside the Met
Photo by myself in the lobby of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, at 82nd and Fifth Avenue.

There are several entrances off the elegant main lobby into the museum. You can linger in this large, active space without purchasing a ticket.

--

Happy Saint Patrick's Day everyone! And thanks to all for the kind wishes for the new job. It went off without a hitch, thank goodness. Phew!

Everyone is very friendly at the new place, and I forsee an easy transition. There were the usual New York questions, namely what trains do you take in the morning. Honestly, one's commute is so often the common denominator among people. The subway is this city's melting pot, the equalizer and every other metaphor that unites disparate entities.

I can live in Brooklyn and you can live in the Bronx. We can come from vastly different demographics but share the same opinion about the Number 3 train. The only time the subway fails to bond people of course, is when someone doesn't take the train. This does happen, by the way. There are plenty of folks who can't bear to go below ground.

One of my friends lived an hour north of the city. Dale developed anxiety attacks while riding the subway, though her experience on September 11th was benign. On that day she was unable to return home, so she stayed at a friend's house.

Later, Dale's sensitive nature made her long daily commute impossible. She developed anxiety attacks and couldn't bear the train ride underground. Fortunately, her job was such that she could work from home.

I haven't talked to Dale in a while and I should get in touch. Most likely, one of the first topics of conversation will be the commute.

17 comments:

Ha Ha Sound said...

I'm one of those people who totally hates the subway. I do take it almost every day, though.

Still, I walk instead whenever I have a chance. It's much nice (I think) to be able to see the city instead of just barreling along underground.

Kitty said...

hey Ha Ha
Being able to walk to work is a luxury here. My brother did it while living in NY to save on time (he's an overworked lawyer).

Anonymous said...

Wow. This looks like a palace. Extra nice picture.

Spandrel Studios said...

Your new workplace sounds very welcoming! How funny that everyone turns to the commute as a common source of conversation?! Hope the professional challenges make the change especially worthwhile.

Destitute Rebel said...

Really nice shot, the interior of the museum is magnificient.

Fredrik said...

Excellent! I'm sure you waited for the guy in beret!?
Congratulations to the new job!

Mom Knows Everything said...

Wow...that is a beautiful building. I'm glad your new job is working out good for you. Take care Kitty, Tammy

Ineke said...

great post. Your train is our weather. It's always good for some remark. Gefeliciteerd on the new job!

sonia a. mascaro said...

Wonderful photo!

Your banner/header is gorgeous!

Kitty said...

Hallo Lincoln
My photo doesn't do the space justice. It's a super cool place!

Hi Spandrel
Thanks for the kind wishes!
So far so good! I'm in the thick of things already. Funny how that happens!

Hi Destitute
Thanks! And thanks for coming by!

Hey Fredrik
Thank you!
I was just snapping as quickly as I could, lol. The beret guy was a lucky catch!

Hey Tammy!
Thank you dear!

Hi Ineke
One can't talk enough about the subway. It is part of NY life!

Welcome Sonia and thanks!
I enjoyed your blog as well. Great photos!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Glad your first day went well Kitty

Kitty said...

thanks, dear Fish! :-)

Ming the Merciless said...

Much belated but just as sincere good wishes to you on your first day (okay, I'll say week) at work.

You are right about commuting being the common denominator. Those who don't like taking the subway trains are just as adamant about it those of us who love it.

That is ONE reason I don't date anyone who lives way outside of NYC. They bitch too much about parking and driving into the city. :-)

Kitty said...

Ming, thank you.
well said about the adamant factor. Funny how people usually have such strong opinions about such stuff here.

I guess you could date someone who doesn't know how to drive?

Anonymous said...

I loved the MET, I wished I had more time to spare :(

Isn't it amazing that the subway is often the ice breaker and conversation starter? It does get you everywhere, so I guess that is all that matters. Our public transport system over here is appalling, it's hard to get anywhere without a car.

Kitty said...

Hi PP!
It's too bad that public transportation isn't so good down under.
The nice thing is that the city is environmentally a good place to live, much more efficient than the suburbs.

custom written essays said...

loveliest place on Earth!! A dream for every real art-lover!!