-- --

Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Bird Man of Washington Square Park

Pigeon Guy
Photo by myself in Washington Square Park.

A man communed with his pigeon friends, Saturday afternoon.

What started out as a few visiting pigeons very quickly became an excited flurry of feathers. There must have been over fifty birds in the end, all over this guy and on the ground.

We New Yorkers can be a direct bunch. A woman walking by asked him, 'What's so special about you?'

Pigeon Guy replied, 'They trust me'.

Before the storm
Just before the storm of pigeons descended. The bird man's friend knew what was to come.

--

Mark, Rupert and I visited Washington Square Park, Saturday afternoon. It was a beautiful Fall day and the park was filled with people.

Two groups of musicians were playing. Joe Mangrum, the sand artist, was finishing up yet another beautiful creation, an acrobatic group had drawn a huge crowd, people milled about the fountain and chatted. And all of this was happening at once.

The space was humming with excitement. I have to wonder whether New York has ever had this vibe before, where it's been so festive on a daily basis. Walking through the public spaces, you feel like you're in a small, friendly, artistic town. More photos to come.

Related posts: Asleep on the D Train, Napping Together, Underground and On the Ride Home.

12 comments:

Washington Cesar Takeuchi said...

Eca! Kind of dirty, isn't it?

We loved that region!

Joanne said...

This is scary stuff for me!! Heart starts to flutter just like the wings...

joe Mangrum said...

Thanks That would be this sand painting
http://www.joemangrum.com/artnews/2010/10/finished-awesome-day-today/

Banjo52 said...

Sounds like what NY should be at its best.

The difference between the two guys' focuses (foci?) is really interesting.

elsie said...

gosh your description of the city is making me want to hope on the next plane!! I've been covered with pigeons and I found it a highly overrated experience... ick!

Kitty said...

Ha, Washington! Mark read your post and promptly did a google search. Some say that this is a myth, that pigeons are dirty!

Ha, Joanne!
I have to say that many people dislike birds Or anything in great number. Birds in great number even more so.

Joe!!

I will post a photo of you working on the piece in the next day or two. You are incredible!!

Hi Banjo
I so agree with you.

I was tickled by the man on the bench, how calm he was and how familiar with the birds. But I was truly tickled by his friend, who was so accepting of the situation. It was a nice moment to share.

Hi Elsiee
lol. Glad you survived the pigeon-ing!

Seriously though, it's a great time to visit. Last gasp before the cold!

Leif Hagen said...

NOT me! I'd be too afraid to getting pigeon pooped on! Yikes!

dianasfaria.com said...

I've been pooped on by pigeons 3 separate times throughout my life - I like to think of it as good luck.

& I love how you caught the birdman's friend anticipating the pigeons landing.
I wonder if the 'vibe' was more pronounced due to the weather? though I think NY always has a great vibe, more or less -it's just a great city!

compression clothes said...

This man is so lucky that he got chance to sit and play with that birds. I like birds very much but I am afraid of them if they bit me. But after watching this picture I am thinking that I also should play with birds.

William MacLeod said...

That's me in the second photo!! And, yes, I knew what was coming down! Paul is a great guy, and a die-hard animal lover. I always find it funny how people walk by and stop (thinking how disgusting it is) but a minute later they all want to feed them!

Kitty said...

ha, William!
I rarely have someone I catch in a candid photo find themselves. You're one of a handful.

Your friend Paul is such a fixture in the park. Believe it or not, this was the first time I'd seen him. I've seen him since then a few times on the same bench...no wonder the birds recognize him, it seems like he's always there!

Thanks for being such a good sport about being photographed and leaving a comment. I actually prefer the photo with you in it because it's like the calm before the storm! ;-)

christian marriage counseling said...

Awesome. I like your shared photographs, pigeons are my favourite and but I am fully agree that it is very dirty bird. I also like to give food to them.