-- --

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Walking the Walk, in Midtown


Photo by myself in Midtown.

This fellow is walking the typical New Yorker walk: poker face, focusing ahead and walking with a brisk purpose.

--

Contrary to popular belief, not all New Yorkers walk and talk quickly. I stroll on occasion, usually with my camera. Picture-taking forces you to slow down. But like many of my comrades, I walk quickly with purpose to the office.

It's a hoot during the winter. A crowd of people will walk down the sidewalk, slow down and nearly stop at the corners, where there are huge slushy ponds.

Then it's like a herd of cattle trying to cross a creek. Some will analyze the shallowest way through and after a second, brave the chill. Others might be wearing tall rubber boots and walk on without hesitation. Most will stand helplessly, craning their necks and looking about, until the light change forces them ahead.

Tough Times, in Midtown, Touring About Fifth Avenue, Midtown and Faces in a Crowd, Midtown.

11 comments:

Gunn said...

Gosh .... look at his EYES!

frankdejol said...

Cool shot!

Washington said...

Hi Kitty! Great shot! You are really brave! I wouldn't dare to look him in the eyes and even less to take a picture!! :o)

Reluctant Blogger said...

I think I would fit in very well in NY as that is exactly how I walk. I never notice anything.

I wonder if I would notice if someone did as you did and took a photo of me. How on earth did you manage it? I hope he didn't barge you out of the way and knock you over!

lewi14@gmail.com said...

I think, it's not really the most friendly New Yorker, but it's an very interesting photo. Do you ask the persons if they want to shown on your blog?

Michael Valčić said...

Nice shot! The man's facial expression is quite interesting.

Fredrik said...

He looks a bit like Robert De Niros evil character Max Cady in Cape Fear.
Here's a cool link to a very special movie about a day in NYC. Enjoy! http://vimeo.com/9679622

Kitty said...

ha Gunn, yes. I didn't realize I'd taken this photo til I got home, and what a shock it was!

Thanks Frank!

Hi Washington
ha. Well, I was just standing there in the sidewalk, snapping away. There was a lot of commotion, which made things easier. (If we were in a secluded area, I would have run off!)

Hi RB!
Luckily it was all going quickly that day. I'm sure the fellow was a bit like you and just saw through me. He's probably a pussycat!

Good to know there are others like us in other parts of the planet. I was thinking we were rather freakish.

Hi Lewi
I didn't ask this fellow. It depends on my mood whether I ask first or whether I just take shots. Also if I want a close up, or if there is limited space, I will ask the subject.

I know that some photographers walk around with a small portfolio of their work and show their prospective subjects. Someday I hope to do that...I'm just not organized right now!

Thanks NYC in Photographs!

Hi Fredrik
Ah...I see the resemblance! Now that was a freaky movie, tee hee.

Unknown said...

my husband was one of those who would find the shallow area by the curb UNTIL i finally convinced him to get proper rain boots! He hasn't been the same since! =)

Louis la Vache said...

WOW! He looks like he's coming right at you with the intent of smashing both the camera and your face!
What a scowl!

Emanuela said...

Great shot! I like the energy!