-- --

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Going Dutch


Mark and I loved Philadelphia. I've been there before very briefly, but never had a chance to walk around. This trip we barely walked around, too - most of the time was spent in the car, driving through the countryside and stopping at little antiques dealers in the Amish areas.

After the cheesesteak debacle, we drove to where we were staying, a little clapboard, family-owned bed and breakfast. It had sloping floors, a little garden out back, a country kitchen, and heaps of Ye Olde charm. You could hear people speaking in the rooms above and below (so it was like we'd never left New York, haha). Next time, we'll have to stay the whole weekend.



We had a chance to walk around a little and ooh and aah over the beautiful brick townhouses on Sunday morning (very little of New York is brick, so visiting old cities like Boston and Philly are a treat). It was Sunday, so all the stores were closed, but we could at least take in bits of the tree-lined streets and perfect weather.

Amish country was relaxing. There were trees, hills, and a horse and buggy or two. I purchased a couple nice things for my apartment. We drove through Intercourse, Bird in Hand and Strasburg, stopping short of Lancaster. Absolutely nothing could have been done without the trusty GPS, which used to sound like John Cleese (after a minor meltdown, it had a sex change). The whole experience of getting lost will be obsolete in a generation.

All this escapism has been good for me. So far, the week has been beyond stressful. There have been late nights, computer glitches and just a general feeling of angst. Fortunately, I am not alone. My coworkers and I swing around to each other, mutter and comiserate. Thankfully, tomorrow is Friday, and there are drinks in my future. TGIF!



Day trips are easily accessible destinations just outside the five boroughs of New York City.

2 comments:

Mom Knows Everything said...

I'm so glad that it's almost the weekend too. This is the first weekend in a long time that I don't have to keep somebody else kids. I plan on spending the whole weekend hanging out with my daughter and playing with my son. Have a great weekend!

Kitty said...

Tammy, I dunno how you do it. Watching over more than one kid sounds much more exhausting than sitting in a comfy chair all day.

Have a good weekend, too!