-- --

Saturday, March 22, 2008

The View from on High

View from Central Park West
Photo by myself high above Central Park. You can see the gilded entrance to the park at the corner of 59th Street and Central Park West.

The high rise to the right was a renovation by architect Philip Johnson. Johnson took an existing building and replaced its drab exterior with windows tinted a dark shade of bronze. It was simple and brilliant move that completely changed the character of the building.

--

The week sped by in a good way. I can't believe it's Friday. My first week at my new job went very well but it's left me feeling tired.

Mark and I will chill out this weekend, doing errands and fiddling with my new camera. I recently purchased a digital SLR, and it is complicated. You can't just take it out of the box and use it. There will be a huge learning curve and reading of manuals.

I'll be back tomorrow hopefully with something new to say. In the meantime, I'm sharing a photo from above Central Park. I'm working on a project for a apartment renovation and this is the view from the window.

I must confess I have a slight fear of heights, but I wouldn't mind watching the change of seasons from here.


For another aerial photo, click here.

12 comments:

Carolyn said...

What a view!

I love the pics and the tidbits of information!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a successful first week at your new job! And looking forward to seeing what you do with your new camera...

Fredrik said...

Nice view!
If you don't want to read the entire manual, before taking pictures with the new camera, just put it on "p" for program or the green rectangular if there's one. Set ISO to automatic or 100 and white balance to automatic. Then the camera choose the best exposure. Later you'll probably want to have more control, then you shift to "A" apertue and choose ISO in regard to the light. Good luck!

Kitty said...

Welcome, Barber and thank you!

Hi Jenn
Thanks so much. It will be a very steep learning curve indeed!

Hi Fredrik
Thanks for the hints. That is SO helpful.
Right now we are very confused by all the buttons and menus. I am a wee bit scared.

It is a serious instrument. Heavy, beautiful..I love it!!

sonia a. mascaro said...

What a gorgeous view! This one takes the cake!

Congratulations on your first week at your new job! Cheers!

sonia a. mascaro said...

Me again... Did I told you that your banner/header is wonderful? It is stunning!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your first week went well.

I am not keen on heights but I love photos take from high places - they don't scare me at all.

Enjoy your long weekend. Get out with that new camera and take lots of new photos.

Mom Knows Everything said...

What an amazing view!

I still haven't read the manual to my camera and it's been almost a year. LOL!

Have a great Easter weekend! :o)

Nikon said...

Great shot, and best of luck with your new camera.
I only have a point & shoot & I'm still learning new things that it can do.
Have fun!

Kitty said...

Hi Nikon -
Thank you! I feel the same, that there is always more to be learned.
It's limitless, what's out there!

Andi said...

Do you find that having that heavy camera around your neck or on your shoulder encourages you to shoot more pictures than if you just had your phone camera or a point and shoot in your bag? I always find that it pulls on my neck so much, it is a constant reminder of why I bought it and why I carry it around and so I use it more and use it creatively rather then just snapping away with a lightweight camera.

Andrea x

Kitty said...

Hi Andrea!
I trade off between my dSLR and smaller camera all the time. It really depends on how much I'm carrying and whether I'll be anywhere interesting.

I love both cameras for different reasons. When I have my dSLR, I feel like a real 'photographer'. I prefer the photos I take with it; it's extremely responsive in terms of focusing time.

The smaller camera is stealthier. Easier to take candids from a short distance, like on the subway.

Often I'll wind up with 50-100 shots with either camera at the end of a day. I do recommend having a good small camera so you're not lugging the big one around all the time. It's heavy!!