-- --

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Lost In the Crowd

Madison Square Garden
Photo by myself outside Madison Square Garden.

Yet another photo from my walk around Midtown the other day. The crowd is made up of tourists and commuters, which makes for an uncomfortable mix of fast walkers and saunterers.

--

In the Talk of the Town section of a recent New Yorker Magazine, there was a short article about the building crane that collapsed on March 15. A townhouse near the United Nations was seriously damaged and there were seven fatalities.

One of the tenants at 305 East 50th Street, Jhon Gallego, fell through the floor of his apartment was pinned in the rubble for a few hours. The friend that was staying with him was killed. After several hours, Gallego was pulled from the rubble with few injuries.

Now here's the rub. Not only was Gallego rescued, but he won the Mega Millions lottery exactly two months before the accident. Crazy, eh?

Hey, you never know.

11 comments:

Nikon said...

Now he was was wearing leather it would be really bizarre!

Anonymous said...

The photo and your words are a wonderful mix. I enjoyed it.

Patty said...

Thanks for your visit and comment. Love the black and white photo.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that guy has certainly been through a lot! Guess the universe is telling him he's got more to do.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Image and words do compliment each other so well. I do enjoy your b&w city scenes.

Mom Knows Everything said...

I love it when you use a black/white photo.

Eva said...

kitty, your picture is so NYC. You've catched so many nationalities in your frame, a sight that you see very few places in the world, but NYC definitely being one of them. And as the others already said, I love that you chose to present it in black and white.

Ming the Merciless said...

Wow! That is amazing luck indeed.

But I guess fate owes him a favor after letting the crane drop on his house. Yes, he survived but fate really owes him big.

Kitty said...

Hi Nikon
I wonder how lucky he must feel?

Thanks Mr Lincoln!

Welcome, Mrs. Lincoln. I enjoyed your blog quite a bit.

Hi Spandrel
That's a very positive and healthy way of seeing it

Thanks Babooshka
I'm not sure why, but the photos look better in b/w. Maybe because there's just so much going on, that color would be too confusing?

Thanks Tammy dear!

Hi Eva
The diversity is definitely one of the great things about living here. It really is a melting pot.

Hi Ming
I wonder what could possibly be next?

Bobby D. said...

glad I found you--I'm from Brooklyn and am looking through your back pages.

Kitty said...

Welcome, D Chedwick
I look forward to browsing through your blog, too. Always very nice to see another New Yorker here.