-- --

Monday, April 28, 2008

For Your Viewing Pleasure

The Film Forum
Photo by myself at the Film Forum at Houston and Varick Streets.

This arty New York institution shows classic, foreign and independent first-run films.

--

This morning I met my friend James at the Film Forum.

Every spring, members are invited to a brunch and movie showing. I've been James' guest for the last few years. I must be the only one of his friends who is awake at 10 am on a Sunday.

We were lucky enough to see the most recent movie by Werner Herzog, 'Encounters at the End of the World', a documentary Herzog made of his trip to Antarctica. I highly recommend it.

Herzog has directed a number of movies over the last thirtysome years, including Nosferatu. He recently became more known to the mainstream with 'Grizzly Man', a documentary about the (crazy) man who thought he could communicate with grizzly bears.

Herzog is an incredible narrator, full of philosophical and quirky insights. The movie features stunning footage underwater below a heavy crust of ice and at the edge of an arctic volcano. Herzog also interviews the characters he meets at the end of the world, a motley assortment of scientists and wanderers.

Luckily this movie will be released to a larger audience, soon. If you're in New York, Encounters will be playing at the Film Forum, beginning June 11th.

The Film Forum
Lower photo by myself, showing the line outside the Film Forum this morning.

Related posts: The Arts - Live and on Videotape

8 comments:

Mom Knows Everything said...

Ever since we had kids we don't get to go to the movies much, but we do take the kids to the drive-in during the summer when they play kids movies.

Carolyn said...

What a neat old theater!

As always ....great pics!

Carolyn

Kitty said...

aw, a drive in must be fun, Tammy. I've never been to one.

Thanks Carolyn!

Eva said...

I used to be a member of a movie club back when I was a student, and I loved it!

I did see the Grizzly Man. Great documentary!

I love how you mix your stories and your pictures. Your site is my own "NY Stories" world :-)

Mike said...

Hello again! I have been busy watching the FSC channel since I now have iO cable. I think I get a channel that shows some independent films. I have to look into it. You are very lucky that you have a place like that there.

Kitty said...

Thanks Eva
I hope you have a place similar to the Forum near you. We need such places!

Hi Mike
I hope you have the chance to see the movie. I think anyone who enjoys photography and travel would be entranced!

Ming the Merciless said...

I've been to the Film Forum once, about 10 years ago shortly after I arrived in NYC. I haven't been back.

Maybe I should!

Kitty said...

Ming!
I won't lecture you at length, but you ought to consider going back. They're playing Midnight Cowboy now. Pretty cool to see that on the big screen (granted, it is a depressing movie).
Sometimes the films look a bit toooo out of the way but the turnover is quick. Plus, the tickets are reasonable.