-- --

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Down Broadway

Looking Downtown, NYC
Photo by myself in Soho around Prince Street and Broadway, looking south.

--

The name 'Broadway' is identified with live performances, since the theater district is located near Broadway, around 42nd Street.

Broadway the street, however, is a long avenue that runs north-south. The other north-south avenues on the west side change names around 59th Street (Columbus Avenue becomes Ninth Avenue, Amsterdam Avenue becomes Tenth Avenue), but Broadway remains Broadway.

Broadway remains Broadway for a good long way, in fact. It should be called Longway, because it runs from Lower Manhattan all the way north, past 168th Street, across the Harlem River to Riverdale, in the Bronx.

For more about Broadway, click here.

Related posts: Grand Central and Tall Tales, The Whole World in His Hands and Reflections Apres Happy Hour.

12 comments:

Guy D said...

Oh do I love this pic, I always enjoy visiting your blog, always brings me back to our honeymoon in NYC last summer.

Cheers!
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Anonymous said...

A big street with a broad name.

Nori Katayama said...

Fine guide for us!

Walker said...

Beautiful capture. We are coming to visit on May 1st. Can't wait.

Jane Hards Photography said...

A lesson learnt, and a stunning urban image.

Olivier Jules said...

very nice shot

Cami said...

Love this shot! Makes me want to live in NY.

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

Not being a theater person, this shot is one thing I think of when I hear Broadway. I love SoHo. I also think of the UWS, around Fairway Market, another favorite NYC area for me. Beautiful photo, Kitty.

valeria said...

This photo emanates great vibes of a fun night out

• Eliane • said...

Nice!!

Anonymous said...

I love this shot

Kitty said...

Thanks everyone!
I had to cross the street a few times and stand in the middle of Broadway for this one.

Walker, I hope you have a lovely time here. May is a good time, just before it gets hot.

Terry B, Soho is also one of my favorite neighborhoods. It's incredible to think that they were thinking of tearing all the gorgeous buildings down in the 70s.

Valeria, it is definitely a hopping place to be in the evenings. So many restaurants and bars.