-- --

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

On Chrystie Street and Photography 101

Chrystie Street, NYC
Photo by myself in Chinatown, around Bowery and Chrystie Streets.

I took this photo from the car, as Mark was driving.

I like it for its timelessness. The signage is really what makes the photo, as well as the nondescript fashion of the pedestrians.

The telephone number on the sign only has 7-digits, as it was back in the day when Manhattan was limited to the (212) area code, and Brooklyn was (718). Now with faxes, 800-numbers and cellphones, telephone prefixes have lost much of their exclusivity.

--

Lately I've been looking into the International Center of Photography in Midtown. I've visited the museum there, which exhibits all types of photography. One of their current exhibits featuring Richard Avedon's fashion photography runs through September.

The ICP also offers dozens of amazing photography classes on digital, film, retouching and documentary photography for students of all levels. I'm planning to take a course this summer. The only question is which one?

I have to say, I'm a little nervous. It's easy to be pursue photography on my own time in isolation. Standing in the same room as other serious photographers is a different story. But I'm eager to learn as much as I can, so any experience is bound to be positive.

Flipping through the school catalogue is absolutely impressive. You can take a seminar on digital photography, get criticism from a photographer from National Geographic, focus on portraiture or even street photography. They also have a one-year intensive program toward a degree.

I'll keep you updated on whether I wind up taking a class this summer and how it goes!

For a look at the ICP coursebook, click here.

Related posts: Live from Chinatown, Nearly Perfect and On the Sidewalk, Chinatown.

11 comments:

Olivier said...

tous ces cours de photos semblent très intéressant, c'est vrai que c'est pas facile de choisir. Après tout dépend comment tu comptes évolués (le portrait cela doit être bien). Moi j'aimerais prendre des cours de photos sur les concerts et les photos de nuits....
all these lessons of photographs seem very interesting, that's true that it is not easy to choose. After very depends how you count evolved (the portrait it must be definitely). Me I would like to take classes of photographs on concerts and night photographs....

Buenos Aires Photoblog said...

The images in your blog are really 'documentary'. I would go for the documentary photography and photojournalism program. You really seem to have a great talent for that.

Buenos Aires Photo

Unseen India Tours said...

IT Is So A Beautiful Image Captured IN B&W..This Is Quite Old One..Great...Also I Have Started My Own Website And Would Like You To Have A Look At It.I Would Love To Have Your Comments On That Also.Unseen Rajasthan

ChickenUnderwear said...

Brooklyn was 212 too. Way back in the day.

Kitty said...

Hi Olivier
A course on night photography would be interesting. They do have ones on lighting, which I imagine would be essential.

Un cours sur la photographie nocturne serait intéressant. Ils ont vraiment des sur l'éclairage, que j'imagine serait essentiel.

Hi Buenos Aires
Thanks so much. Yes, I'm considering it.

It frankly amazes me there are classes on such a subject!

Hi Unseen Rajasthan
Your site is pretty developed for being so new. I'll be browsing around it!

Hi Chicken Underwear
I'm surprised about Brooklyn being 212! Wow.

I'm a little sad that the prefixes are all over the place, now. Call me a purist, but it was nice and straightforward back then.

Kizz said...

I took my first class at ICP on Saturday. Haven't written about it yet but I loved it. It was just a one day really basic digital camera intro course but it was unbelievable. I learned more in that day than I've probably learned about photography before in my whole life. Can't wait to hear what you decide to take!

Susu said...

Timeless places are wonderful. They give us a sense of continuity and security.

Ken Mac said...

lemme know what class you take! I need to study photography more...

dianasfaria.com said...

taking a class at ICP, oh that sounds wonderful! I can't wait to hear more about your experience once you decide.
I love this photograph, it's pure Chinatown.

:) said...

I walk pass there everyday, never seem to notice the number though!

great shot :)

Chuck said...

Hi- I just arranged a special birthday party for my parents- it was their 30th anniversary-and i wanted to get the event photographed by a professional-but I had very little money so I couldn't afford the super expensive photographers from manhattan- so I hired a photographer from Cliffside Park - the photos were spectacular and the price was a very reasonable $400.00. I can't say enough good things about this service and I suggest it to other people that want to spend around $400.00 and have someone come photograph a birthday party or anniversary party or other event.- or children's photos. You can reach them at ontheedgephoto@gmail.com. In the current deep recession it is good to find a way to get great quality service for much less than those Manhattan wedding photographers charge.

Also – you can reach them at yes734987@yahoo.com