-- --

Friday, June 26, 2009

On Lost Icons and The Dakota

The Dakota, Upper West Side
Photo by myself of The Dakota, at 72nd Street and Central Park West.

This landmark apartment building on the Upper West Side was the setting for the film Rosemary's Baby. An overhead view of the building's gothic roofline occurs near the beginning of the movie.

The little metal booth is for the doorman during the winter months. The archway leads to an exterior courtyard.

--

Like everyone, I'm shocked and saddened by the deaths Thursday of two American icons, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. News of the latter came as a huge shock, out of the blue and at the end of the work day.

The photo above shows the The Dakota, home of another icon lost too soon, John Lennon. Lennon was gunned down in front of the building in 1980.

Fans pay tribute to Lennon in Central Park, across the street. An area called 'Strawberry Fields' bears the word 'Imagine' inscribed in the pavement. Visitors often leave flowers there as a remembrance.

Related posts: Trinity Church, at Dusk, On the Market and Among Beautiful Things.

7 comments:

Tiago said...

It's always sad when some dies before his time...

Anonymous said...

I like your photograph. It is amazing that Jackson passed on.

Fredrik said...

MJ was my idol when I was younger. It's so sad that he's gone...
Great post as usual. I like both the story and the picture. Have a great weekend!

dianasfaria.com said...

you've captured the doorman perfectly in front of his building, just a bit of a blur, I love it.

dianasfaria.com said...

PS
I'm sad about our lost icons too. It is truly the end of an era.

Kitty said...

Hi TC
Yes, and a sudden death, especially. I'm still reeling from it!

Thanks Abe!
I agree. Now looking back at all he did, it's quite overwhelming.

Hi Fredrik
I think MJ was there at the right time, too, with music videos and dance. His were especially memorable and creative.

Thanks Lily
It was a lucky shot, with the doorman, who was pacing to and fro. Fortunately he didn't mind me loitering there like a nutcase!

Andrea said...

It was night-time here when MJ died and I remember going to work the next day, the whole atmosphere was really gloomy and whereever you went that day, all you could hear is his music, from cars, in shops, on the radio at work, everywhere....