-- --

Friday, July 10, 2009

Enjoying the View Across the East River

The View from Williamsburg
Photo by myself of Manhattan, from across the East River in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

People were sunning themselves on the grass last weekend, on the edge of Brooklyn. You can see a bunch of notable buildings from here.

From far left to right: the New York Life Building (with the gold pyramid on top), the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building and the Citicorp Building (its top is cut at a jaunty angle).

--

To answer TC's question below, I don't see people swimming in the East River, ever. If most New Yorkers were to see someone in the East River, they'd summon the police for help, who would show up wearing hazmat suits.

But I do see people fishing all the time. And they eat what they catch!

There's also a beach called the Water Taxi Beach, in Long Island City, a neighborhood just north of what's shown in the photo. The beach is a small area of asphalt along the water that's covered with sand (not the most glamorous of things but you get a nice view).

I've never been to the Water Taxi Beach, but I've seen it while driving by on the Long Island Expressway. Parties are held there at night; Mark was there recently and said it was an odd locale.

Happy Friday everyone!

Related posts: Different Vistas, From the East Bank and From Under the Bridge.

10 comments:

Olivier said...

toujours aussi belle la skyline de NYC, c'est une superbe vue

Tiago said...

How clean is the East River? Can you swim there?

bananas. said...

so pretty.
sigh.
wish i was there.

Lowell said...

This is just superb. Can't imagine anyone eating fish caught there, though.

Kitty said...

Thanks Olivier, yes it's a lovely view on a sunny day

Hi TC
Thanks for the question, I wouldn't have thought of it. I edited the post above.

Hi Bananas
Yeah. Nice life, to lie in the grass with such a nice sight.

Hi Jacob
I agree. Those fishing say they catch small sunfish and eels. I wonder how many they catch a day.

bikebali said...

Such a beautiful info. It’s so nice site. We love to see more on this site. Keep on updating… MonkAreRee Bali ***

... said...

I fall in love with the skyline everytime I see it, Kitty...my first time was May this year...and I miss it so...

Kizz said...

There are sporting events that involve swimming in the water around Manhattan. A friend of mine is doing a triathalon that starts in the Hudson and there's some big deal where people swim all around the island of Manhattan. I don't know that I'd be brave enough to do it but some people are it seems.

Kaite said...

I love your blog, I'm moving to the city in early September, and your photos often make me feel like I'm already a part of the NYC world. This one is particularly inspiring! =]

<3 http://ka-tea.blogspot.com/

Cheap Lots in Samara Costa Rica said...

Hello I want to congratulate to them by its site of the Web of the excellent looks like entertained and very good very to me it elaborated. I invite them to that they explore a little on my Web site.