-- --

Saturday, July 4, 2009

On Dogs and Dogs

Tiny Dog, NYC
Photo by myself in Washington Square Park, in the Village.

When asked, the owner reported that this tiny dog, hardly bigger than a sneaker, was in fact full grown.

She was a bit nervous but did fine in front of the camera.

--

Mark and I debated whether we should make the trip to Coney Island or not - Sunday is the annual Nathan's hot dog eating contest. Past winners Joey Chestnut and Takeru Kobayashi will be there, and each routinely down more than 50 hot dogs in the 10 minute time period.

But the last thing we wanted to do was to stand in the midst of a hot crowd. We might just watch it on tv, instead.

The hot dog eating contest is being broadcast live on ESPN at noon, EST.

Update: Joey Chestnut won the contest for the third year in a row. He set a new world record, eating 68 hot dogs in 10 minutes. Kobayashi came in a close second, with 64 1/2.

Related posts: Dog Days of Summer, Our Four-Legged Friends and Keeping Your Dogs in a Row.

9 comments:

ChickenUnderwear said...

I was there once, I had a great view and avoided the mob scene by looking into the back of a news truck and watching the live video feed.

dianasfaria.com said...

oh my goodness! & I thought our Priscilla was tiny!
I think I'd opt for the TV just because I can't imagine watching any type of eating contest without feeling queasy myself.

Saretta said...

Now just exactly what is it about that chihuahua that made you think of the hot dog eating contest? LOL!

Kitty said...

Hi Chicken!
We just watched the contest on tv. There were about a million people there standing in the sun. So glad we didn't go.

Your view sounds pretty cool. I'd love to see one of those news trucks.

Hi Lily
Wow, Priscilla must be very small.
Did you see the contest? Mark and I couldn't watch some parts. Joey Chestnut won by a couple dogs and broke the world record.

Welcome Saretta, thanks for visiting

Ha, I just happened to pair a recent photo with current events. I actually didn't figure out the connection til I had to write the title.

Theresa111 said...

She looks nervous because someone stole her little tail!

Unseen India Tours said...

This is so cute !! I loved this one...Great,Great and great..Do check my another blog also i.e.Unseen Rajasthan

... said...

I simply can't fathom the thought of chowing down on 50+ "dogs"...
Kitty wrote: "...and broke the world record."
Is that all he broke???? I am thinking zipper, pant seams - but then again, perhaps the clothing worn was expandable???

Yikes...!

Mandy said...

The dog looks like a Lancashire heeler. They can be quite snappy wee dogs.

Xand said...

Lancashire Heeler!!! It looks nothing like one.