-- --

Monday, August 3, 2009

On the Rise in Park Slope, Brooklyn

Affordable housing graffiti, Park Slope
Photo by myself in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

Some wry commentary outside one of many, many developer buildings going up in Brooklyn.

There are several construction sites in my neighborhood alone in Park Slope. Some projects seem to be stalled, but most seem to be moving forward.

These condos and co-ops replace single family and older rental buildings. 99-cent stores are replaced by nail salons, which are then replaced by delis, then gourmet bakeries. That's the way it goes.

You have to wonder though whether affordable housing for the not-so-well-off is going up anywhere. Not that I know of in my area.

--

Not much to report here, except that the cat and I have been doing some serious lolling about. It's hard to determine which of us is more lazy.

With the chicken pox, I've gotten through the white dot stage to the pink dot stage to the purple dot stage. All of it very tiresome and uncomfy, and without a shred of hunger. There are times when my stomach growls and hurts, telling my little brain that I should eat, but I have zero appetite. (A blessing in disguise, this illness!)

Thanks so much to all for your well wishes. It truly means a great deal, and reminds me that we should all take thanks for our good health when we have it. When we're not feeling well, the world as we know it is a different place.

Related posts: City Portraits - The East Village, Art for the Masses and Abandoned Lot, East Village.

12 comments:

Olivier said...

j'avais pas vu que tu avais la Varicelle, pas sympathique, j'espère que tu ne te grattes pas trop. Comme régime, je suis pas certain que cela soit le meilleur système ;o)

B SQUARED said...

Be well. I had it as a child. It's no fun.

Buenos Aires Photoblog said...

Hope you get well soon. At least it's unlikely you'll ever get it again, maybe that'll cheer you up a bit.

dianasfaria.com said...

I love this sign, so true.
I'm hoping you are at least drinking plenty of fluids Kitty!
: )

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Feel better Kitty, btw I saw this link on curbed today and it made me think of you :-)

http://awesome-rossome.blogspot.com/2009/07/architects-as-seen-on-tv.html

Fredrik said...

Hope you feel better soon. I really enjoy your latest street photography. You're so attentive! Personally I've lost my inspiration. Hope it's just temporarily. I think I need a project, a theme of a kind...

Unknown said...

I think the purple dot stage is when it's contagious and itchy. Like they say, hands off. So be careful. When I had it, I vowed not to touch any of my spots but then sometimes, I forgot and also did some scratching and picking in my sleep. And was left with more than just one scar.

Kitty said...

Hi Olivier
Thanks, I'm not scratching at all. Fortunately it's not too itchy. I just can't wait til I can walk around outside and eat solid food!

Merci, je ne raye pas du tout. Heureusement il n'est pas trop irritant. Je juste ne peux pas attendre jusqu'à ce que je puisse marcher autour d'extérieur et manger de la nourriture pleine!

Thanks B Squared!

Hi Buenos Aires
That we only get this once definitely cheers me up. Thank goodness. What would we do if this were like having a cold?

Thanks Lily!
I am full of liquids and could pop at anytime ;-)

Hi Fish
I loved this link! Ha!
I forwarded it onto other poor architects to laugh at.

Hi Fredrik
I'm sorry to hear you're in a down spell in terms of candids. It happens, but fortunately it will pass.

I'd personally love to know more about your life as a freelance photographer, and I'm sure your readers would like that, too. Sounds like a dream job to me.

Thanks R, for the good advice.
I should bind my wrists up to bedposts if I had them!!!

Unknown said...

Hi-hi, Kitty. I think your boyfriend would find your reply amusing if we weren't talking about the chicken pox.

Thanks for continuing to post. I appreciate it very much like the rest of your readers.

Btw, you speak French too?

Spandrel Studios said...

Having one's health isn't just a cliche - it's a necessity! So sorry you had to deal with this... and glad to hear things are progressing.

• Eliane • said...

That is so funny. Great catch!!!

Kitty said...

Ha, R. Very cute.
I don't speak French very well, but translate my items to Olivier at times.

Thanks Spandrel dear!

Thanks Eliane
It's that cynical sense of humor we all seem to share. ;-)