-- --

Friday, November 13, 2009

The Truth in Advertising, in the East Village

Can't Afford to *heart* NYC
Photo by myself in the East Village.

Sadly, the message of the paste-up graffiti is somewhat true.

It's been increasingly more difficult for the lower and middle classes to call New York City "home". You'll find few starving artists here, since it's an expensive place to live.

The artists I know have a day job and pursue their passions in their free time. I've read so many stories about writers and artists in the past, who moved to New York with $50 in their pockets and managed to make it. No longer.

--

I'll be posting for the next few days from Los Angeles, where it's sunny and in the 60s. Mark and Rupert are staying home in Brooklyn, where it's rainy and cold. No fun.

My parents live in a remote area, where they only have *gulp* dial-up, also known as a "modem", a lesser known 'technology' from the 20th century. You'd think from the speed or lack thereof that it involves string and tin cans. Geez.

It's nuts to think we all used to use modems. Are we all spoiled now or is it just me?

Related posts: Pasted Up in the Meatpacking District, Abandoned Lot, East Village and Art for the Masses.

5 comments:

Washington said...

Hi Kitty.
When you say that "it's been increasingly more difficult call New York City home" you are talking about the artits only or lower/middle classes in general? It is due to the cost to live in New York?

The Shutter said...

I just found your site and I'm already a huge fan. Love your shots.

Mama Mayborne... said...

whoever made that flyer should sell the tee shirt and get rich!!

Louis la Vache said...

Ditto San Francisco!

Kitty said...

Hi Washington!
I think the middle and lower classes have had an increasingly tough time living here.

Maybe I'm wrong? But there are so many condos and coops, which limits the amount of housing available. And then what is available for rent is usually pretty steep. You'll have several young people sharing an apartment.

Welcome, Shutter! Thanks so much.

Hi Mama
Ha, I totally agree. I think the slogan and design is pretty spot on.

Lol, Louis. I bet.
SF is a pricey (and very pretty) town. Geez.