-- --

Monday, January 25, 2010

Village People, in Sheridan Square

Village People, NYC
Photo by myself in Sheridan Square, in the West Village.

'The Bus Stop', by American artist George Segal, was installed in 1980. The figures were cast from life, created in bronze and patinated white, to resemble plaster.

For some embarrassing reason, I never noticed this sculpture before, perhaps because they are treated like neighborhood fixtures.

--

I don't often post photos from the Village, and here's why: first, we often visit the East Village because there are more parking spaces. Second, Rupert loves the big dog run in Tompkins Square Park.

But really, I am directionally impaired, and a directionally impaired person in a neighborhood of diagonal streets is a sad sight. Within an hour I am a disoriented, dehydrated, grumbly person with sore feet.

I keep telling myself that all I need is to get lost more, and I'll know the neighborhood. Ha, fat chance!

Related posts: Art, for Public's Sake, On Public Art and Other Freebies and Public Art at the Lever House.

11 comments:

Olivier said...

j'adore ces statues, elles font partis maintenant du paysage de greenwich village. un bel hommage

Pat said...

There are statues like this in Seattle, too. I like them better when they're not painted, though.

Luis Gomez said...

Great I love this place.

Fredrik said...

Sculptures like that really interact with us. Great picture!

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

I've always been a big fan of Segal, particularly the actual plaster figures with real props. One in particular is the plaster man on a ladder changing the letters on a movie marquee. Regarding getting lost, when I used to ride my bike a lot, I would deliberately turn off known streets on occasion to lose myself and see what I might discover. It almost always led to something interesting.

Fashion Schlub said...

Y! M! C! A!

i think the statue people are a little creepy....ha.

Hilda said...

At least, one will always have company when you have to wait at this bus stop!

dianasfaria.com said...

I love how the shadows fall on this sculpture, beautiful!

Torilpia said...

Well - you could try to "get lost" with someone to help you back home .. :o)

Great picture and I really liked that sculpture :o)

All the best - hugs!

valeria said...

Bellissima. It's funny to see that guy who enjoyed the statues...

Lori said...

I noticed these one night when I was walking quickly through the village with my college roommate, looking for the restaurant where we had reservations. I wanted to stop and look closer but she was in a hurry. It's one of those things I'll have to go back for next time I'm there.