-- --

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

On Needy Causes, in Midtown and Beyond

Taking a moment, in Midtown
Photo by myself in Midtown.

Unfortunately, the needy are not an uncommon sight in large cities.

This fellow was taking a break during a busy rush hour.

--

Speaking of needy, if you've ever given a thought to helping children in the city, now is the time.

I've been told that a generous sponsor will match donations made before June 30th to The Fresh Air Fund. That means every donation made before then will be doubled.

The Fresh Air Fund places needy inner city children in greener surroundings for two weeks during the summer. You can also host children in your home, if you live in the Northeast. Close to 5,000 lucky children were able to take a break from the city last year.

I've heard about this organization since my first days in New York. It's an absolute thrill to speak on their behalf. Merely making a child aware of a bigger, more beautiful world of possibilities can be life-altering.

For a look at the colorful Fresh Air website and to make your donation, click here.



Related posts: Life in High Contrast, Man and Companion, on the Sidewalk and Worthy Causes.

6 comments:

Pat said...

I remember that a friend of mine's family hosted a Fresh Air Child when I was a kid. May not have been the same organization, but the thought was the same.

The top photo is extremely touching. A full wheelie cart passing by, and the fellow's bags full of undoubtedly his only possessions.

dianasfaria.com said...

this is a touching photo. I hope things turn around for this man soon.
Thanks for the info about the Fresh Air Fund. What a wonderful organization.

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

A great post, Kitty! It's important to get the word out about the efforts of such organizations.

Ken Mac said...

think he needs some new threads..

Anonymous said...

Wearing two different shoes, makes one indeed search for balance.

You would be "impressed" to see the large amount of such sights throughout the streets of Athens. Please have a nice Thursday.

daily athens

cara said...

My first visit to your blog and I'll definitely be back. I am reluctant to point my camera at a group of strangers without asking incase they come after me shaking their fist... but the results are great. You've inspired me to try and get over it.