-- --

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Free Flicks, in Bryant Park

Bryant Park Crowd
Photo by myself at Bryant Park, at 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue.

The above photo fails to convey how many people were packed onto the lawn at Bryant Park last night. The lawn is surrounded by modern towers and the classic New York Public Library building.

The raised terrace outside the library (to the right, out of frame) was packed with onlookers. People also sat on chairs below the trees to either side of the park. Mob scene, all for a free movie.

On Monday nights during the summer, it's a tradition that classic movies are shown outside. Claim your seats early, because as the billions of other people come, your territory will dwindle. Battles take place over square inches.

Last night, the crowd enjoyed 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'. There are only four movies left to the summer. For the movie calendar, click here.

Click here to see my aerial view of the park. You'd be surprised how big the lawn is compared to this foreshortened view.

Related posts: What's Swinging in Bryant Park, The Towers Near Riverside Park and Holiday Cheer, Already in Bryant Park.

17 comments:

Olivier said...

j'aurais adore voir un film sur ce grand ecran à Bryant Park, cela devait etre une belle soirée

Pat said...

Gosh, with all those people around, can you hear the film? I guess even if you can't, it's a fun experience. Like the days of 'drive-in' movies, in a way.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

That's a great shot Kitty. Bryant Park is one of my favorite places in New York!! Hope you are having a good week.

Washington Cesar Takeuchi said...

Hi Kitty!
We have been very busy in NYC, that`s why I did not visit your blog recently.
Sorry for your cat!
Yesterday we were supposed to be at Bryant Park for the film, but I simply forgot that! Instead we were at the top of Rockefeller Center for the sunset (totally awesome).
We are having a wonderful time in NY.
Hope you are fine! Tell you more when we go back home.

Unknown said...

I was there with a huge mob of friends last night; for our six-blanket-wide-three-blanket-deep space in the front, one of the guys was at the front of the line at 4:15. Crazy fun -- and a great shot, Kitty.

cheeky rose said...

Lovely shop. What an atmosphere that must have conveyed

Ken said...

love that! We do a similar thing in Chicago... I will link to a picture i took last year from my old website as reference.... :)

Islandia Lane said...

aww love Monty Python!! The few times I've tried to go the lawn has been jam packed! I know what you mean by trying to feel the crowds in a photo.

RedPat said...

It's like going to the drive-in without the car. Is there any popcorn for sale?

Kitty said...

great stuff. outdoor movies are the best. always enjoy your shots.

emma said...

This is great! I've always wanted to experience those free flicks, I remember 2 years ago I walked by the park and caught a glimpse of the movie. I'll be sure to catch a movie next week when I visit. It's one of the things that make new york such a great city.

elsie said...

this is a prime example of why I think that my plot to retire in NYC will work - all of the wonderful FREE activities!!!

dianasfaria.com said...

this reminds me of the days I used to go to the drive in movie theatre.
great link to your old post - love that birds eye view of the park.

Ming the Merciless said...

I went to this Classic Movies @ Bryant Park event once almost a decade ago. It was soooo packed and we sat way at the back but it got too noisy because some people near the fountain got drunk.

I subsequently started an old movie club (like a book club except no reading required) and I met a lot of cool people. :)

Hope you had a great time.

Sylvia said...

wow that looks great! what lots of people! we have been in NY in march but this doesn't look the same hihi. Much better weather right now I think. Hope to be there soon some time!

Babzy.B said...

i love this movie if only i could have been there :)

Eve said...

Great shot!

I've been once and had a great time eating pizza and watching the movie with friends. They keep the movie loud enough to hear it perfectly :D