-- --

Friday, May 27, 2011

At the Bar, at Old Town

Old Town, NYC
Photo by myself at 18th Street and 5th Avenue, in the Flatiron District.

Old Town is one of the few remaining old bars in New York. It is usually packed every night with business people in the early evenings, and kids in the wee hours.

As you can see of the bar, Old Town is not pretentious. You would never know it's located steps away from trendy restaurants and luxe furnishing stores.

Old Town has been known as a 'writer's bar'. Frank McCourt, Nick Hornby and Seamus Heaney used to come here. Some of their signed photographs are on the wall.

For the Old Town website, which includes their menus and some historic photos, click here.

--

Apologies for the delay in posting. I had a devil of a time figuring out what photo to show today.

I'm writing from Los Angeles, which is beautiful and sunny as usual. Some photos from our stay here, coming soon!

Related posts: Alone with People, on the Lower East Side, Before the Game, in Alphabet City and Over Drinks, in the East Village.

6 comments:

Sérgio Pontes said...

Excelent photo, i love it

Ken Mac said...

cracked my knee up yesterday. ALl about the ice. So wish I was here!

Kitty, is Adsense working cool for you? I thinking about it...doesn't look too intrusive

Kitty said...

Thanks Sergio!

Hi Ken
Ouch, I hope you're ok. I agree w/ you, the medicinal effects of gin and tonic are top notch :-)

I was looking for your email address and couldn't find it on your site. Long/short of it, I used to be very much against putting ads on this site but then decided to try it out.

The extra 3 cents here and there is not a bad thing, ha.

Banjo52 said...

I see the appeal of that bar, unless it's just too packed to move or hear each other. I share Ken's question about Ad Sense, so thanks for the info.

Kitty said...

Hi Banjo
Good luck with the Adsense.

Btw the formula for how much you get is completely unknown to me. If a bunch of people look at your site and none of them click on the ads, you still get income. If someone clicks on an ad, you get a bit more income. So, it really depends on what the people are doing.

I was against ads at first because I wanted to keep the purity of the site. Now, most sites have ads, so having ads is akin to making your site look legitimate. (Not everyone may share my logic).

To me, it's worth having the ads. It costs you nothing, and since you can place and size the ads yourself, they don't have to clutter your site.

dianasfaria.com said...

A great place - I used to go here when I lived in Gramercy Park.

Beautiful shot Kitty, you've captured the coziness of this place well.
Can't wait to see your pics from LA.