-- --

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Under Candelabra at One if by Land, in the West Village

One if by Land, West Village
Photo by myself at One if By Land, a restaurant on Barrow Street in the West Village.

Mark and I dined at One if by Land, Two if by Sea, a well-known restaurant, Saturday night.

One if by Land is touted for being one of the most romantic restaurants in the city. It is also very expensive. Mark received a gift certificate from a business contact over a year ago, and we finally got around to eating there.

There is a piano player in the front of the house, as well as a well-stocked bar. A double height space is lit with candelabra. The vibe is Old New York, with exposed brick walls and very low lighting.

We opted for the six-course chef tasting menu but should have gone with the four-course prix fixe menu instead (there are only these two options on weekends). We were absolutely stuffed by the fifth course. And then there was dessert!!

One if by Land, West Village
The bar and seating, in the front room. A fireplace is out of frame, to the left.

I had pate, a beautiful summer salad and steak, among other dishes. Mark had lobster, pan seared scallops and halibut. Some of the courses were just okay, some were divine. Overall, our food experience was a good one.

I don't have any photos of our food, unfortunately. We were sitting between to two other tables and I felt strangely embarrassed to take photos with such limited space.

There are mixed reviews to One if by Land online. Frankly, Mark and I prefer down-to-earth ramen places and Ethiopian food to fancy places.

For a review in New York Magazine, click here.
For the restaurant website, which includes current menus, click here.

Related posts: The Flatiron Building, in Detail, On the Market and Details, Details.

13 comments:

biebkriebels said...

That looks very special to have dinner there. Must be fun for once to dine under chandelears.

RedPat said...

Such old-time elegance! You were so lucky.

Spandrel Studios said...

It's fun to check out these types of places, if only to instill a greater appreciation for your favorite spots!

Lou said...

Oooh I love it! Great picture. It even looks expensive, so I knew that before you even said! :)

Marcia said...

Did you know the place is haunted? It's said that Aaron Burr's daghter Theodosia haunts it. She supposedly loves to take the earrings from female patrons.

Girl in Gotham City said...

Absolutely stunning Kitty! Thank you for posting. This restaurant def goes on my list of places I must visit. PS. Love Marcia's comment about the place being haunted.

Beatrice B. said...

wow...that looks just amazing. I definitely wanna stop by there at some point. Took a note already :) But why does it always have to be so expensive in the city!? For me as a Berliner it's always a reason to hesitate ;) Food is just so unbelievably cheap here.

www.seitenstrasse.blogspot.com

Kitty said...

Thanks everyone!

Hi Bieb,
I'm glad you enjoyed the charm of this old NY destination. We were seated on the second floor, which had a lower ceiling and no chandeliers. There were many candles, which was just as nice.

Thanks RedPat! Mark and I consider ourselves very lucky indeed.

Hello Spandrel dear!!
I hope you are doing well.
Absolutely, Mark and I thought about it a lot and have renewed love for our more down to earth favorite restaurants, ha.

Hi Lou
Funny how those lighting fixtures have dollar signs all over them, lol. We ladies are such suckers for low lighting.

Hi Marcia
Funny you should say that. We met someone the other day who lives in that neighborhood and mentioned the ghosts, too.

We didn't experience anything supernatural while there, which is too bad. Mark loves those ghost shows on tv.

Hello GG and welcome!
I hope you dine there and post about it. It's one of those places worth going to just to say you went.

Hi Beatrice!
I have the same mindset as you do. Food doesn't have to be expensive to be good. Sounds like Berlin is my kind of city. :-)

Washington Cesar Takeuchi said...

Wow! Seems to be expensive! How is the dressing code? You did no mention whether the food is good or not!

Side Street Style said...

Wow those candels are amazing :) so beautiful I want to eat there!!!! Love your blog by the way and following

Laura x
www.sidestreetstyle.com

Leif Hagen said...

What a beautiful, romantic place for dinner, Kitty! I'm sure a lot of young couples get engaged there.....
Happy 4th of July to you and Mark!

khUthU said...

prettiest thing!!

Kitty said...

Thanks Washington!
Actually, I did post about the meal a bit, after the 2nd photo. The food was good overall but I highly doubt Mark and I will be back.

Thanks Side Street, and welcome!

Thanks Leif! Happy 4th to you as well. I hope you had a restful weekend

Thanks KhUthU!