-- --

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Portrait of a Bike Messenger, in Midtown

Messenger, nyc
Photo by myself in Midtown.

I met a bike messenger on my way into the office, Wednesday. He sat outside, recording a recent delivery. He wore layers of clothing, including a backpack, hat, long shorts and tall socks.

This soft-spoken fellow has been a messenger for the last 12 years. When I asked to take his photo, he asked what I'd be using it for. I told him what I usually tell people - that I have a blog, and for some reason, people from all over the place are curious about New York and New Yorkers.

He graciously said yes, provided his photo was put 'to good use'. (Of course!)

Lastly, I asked offered to give him the address of this blog, but he professed not to use the internet (!). He was up and gone before I could get his name.

All businesses use bike messengers for same-day delivery within the city. If you have larger, heavier objects that are not bike-friendly, a messenger service will send a van.

The Portrait Series is a once-in-a-while installment, featuring New Yorkers encountered on the street.

Related posts: Portrait of Five New Yorkers, on the Upper East Side, Portrait of Style, on the Subway Platform, and Portrait of a Film Shoot, in Brooklyn Heights.

9 comments:

Olivier said...

Je trouve que New York s'ouvre de plus en plus aux pietons et aux velos, et je trouve cela tres bien. Il a l'air tres joyeux ton cycliste

Rose ~ from Oz said...

I can just imagine the wonderful sights (architecturally)inside buildings that he's seen over his 12 yrs on the job; that we could only dream of seeing. This fellow's profession would gain him entry to inner sanctums we could not even imagine. Or am I being altogether too fanciful?!

s.c said...

Nice one Kitty

Andy said...

Whether it was accidental or planned I like the pose. I also like your reason for for taking his photo. I've been telling people it's my hobby. I like yours better because everyone likes a bit of fame.

Cesc Sales said...

I wait for the film "Premium Rush"

Leeds daily photo said...

Like Rose I too think he will know the city pretty well, most likely far better than most New Yorkers. I have a couple of friends who do not use the net, one of whom has no TV either.

Luis Gomez said...

Very nice Kitty.

Ken Mac said...

That's a great response to why you take their picture. I will use it!

Cyrillatortue said...

Hello, five years past but i find your blog today on google and i think i know the guy but i'm not sur! Please see the video from deathcheatnyc (hardcore messenger from new york) on y**tub* https://youtu.be/gNwwnWuyQ1I Please if you are always active. Confirm to me ;) Thank you very much