-- --

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Apple Store, Inside Grand Central

Grand Central at night
Photo by myself outside Grand Central Train Terminal, on 42nd Street and Park Avenue, in Midtown.

Monday night, I wandered over to one of my favorite buildings, Grand Central.

Was I picking up fresh ingredients for dinner at Grand Central Market, the high end food market? Or was I going to the Oyster Bar for a cup of hot chowder and a beer?

Nope. I was checking out the latest Apple Store.

Now on the east end of the Main Concourse, you can browse around on ipads to your little heart's delight. Or consult with geniuses. Or purchase the latest in i-gear.

Apple Store, Grand Central
Review the latest gadgets below discreet LED lights at the newest Apple Store. The long tables and lighting are reminiscent of an old fashioned library.

The coolest thing about this store is that it's virtually invisible from the main concourse level. There's no huge signage, no glass box. The store is open to the air on the second level, and overlooks the main space.

Despite the lack of large-scale signage, the store was abuzz with customers. And we all had a great view of the concourse below. I've taken photos in and around Grand Central, but this was the first with my Leica. It's a tricky space to photograph because it is dimly lit.

Inside Grand Central
The view of the main concourse from the Grand Central Apple Store.

Related posts: A View into Grand Central Station, The Apple Store, Continued, and Grand Central and Tall Tales.

9 comments:

Olivier said...

superbe cet apple store dans Grand Central, les lumieres vont bien avec la gare, qui est toujours aussi belle ;)

Marcia said...

No signs, no problem Apple geeks always know where to find their home base. We have one in a local open air mall and when I go in just to look around they are so nice. I can talk gadgets to my heart content with them even though I don't own anything Apple, though I'd love to.

kousuke said...

Best place for rendezvous!

Anonymous said...

Nice store. I always think of Grand Central where the one man breaks out in a song and soon the whole place is singing along with him.

RedPat said...

Love your crowd shot at the end with people whizzing by. Glad they have no signage.

Ken Mac said...

Your "Leica" !!!!!! Which one? Geesh am I envious....

Anonymous said...

I haven't been here, yet. I have to go. When I have money. :-)

Banjo52 said...

I'm no pro, but these shots look great to me. That golden hue!

Washington Cesar Takeuchi said...

Hi Kitty! That's one of my favorite building in NYC too. It is gorgeous!!