-- --

Friday, April 25, 2008

All That Glitters

Columbus Circle
Photo by myself at Columbus Circle, at Central Park West and 59th Street.

The fountain in front of the AOL Time Warner Building is lit up in the evenings. This glamorous location makes you feel like you're in the midst of everything.

--

The other night I was watching the last episode of The Real Housewives of New York City, which I'd recorded. What can I say? I couldn't help myself.

Mark settled on the sofa next to me. After a couple minutes he asked, 'Who are these people?'

Obviously he can't understand us girls. Even though I started out resisting this show, these women grew on me. I admit it. They're a bit ridiculous. Some should just get over themselves. But like so many of Bravo's reality shows (Top Model, Top Chef, that tattoo show in LA), Real Housewives is seriously addictive.

No, these five women don't represent New York in the least. Their experiences and concerns reflect a very small demographic. I doubt any of them have taken the subway in years. What makes the show addictive are their personalities, which are strong, over-the-top and a little nuts.

Incidentally the top random keyword search that is referred to this blog is for the name 'Bethenney', for Bethenney Frankel, a natural foods chef on the show. Bethenney is the wittiest one of the bunch. Her troubled childhood and unsettled relationship status makes her the 'housewife' most women would find compelling, I think.

Anyway, Season 1 of Real Housewives is over. Mark has a reprieve.


For earlier posts on the show, click here or here.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was surprised. I had no idea what it was but found it impressive on the portal and when I came here I smiled. I like it and think it is still an impressive picture.

Carolyn said...

GReat Pic. I love how the water stands out.

I watch the Housewives too! It is very addictive. It is like a train wrech.....you can't stop watching! My favorites are LuAnn and Bethenny.

Carolyn

Kitty said...

Hi Mr Lincoln
I guess the photo is a little dark. Funny how it makes sense through the viewfinder and looks different out of context

Hi Carolyn
How funny that you're a fan too? I think the editors did a great job with the pace of the show.

I like LuAnn and Bethenney, too. LuAnn seems down to earth. Bethenney is a hoot. So funny.

Anonymous said...

The arcs of water in your photo are mesmerizing! Nice job, Kitty!

It would not surprise me to see Bethenny get her own show out of this. Could you imagine a talk-show with her at the helm? Bethenny is such a verbal machine gun that I'm exhausted just thinking about it!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

I really like that photo. I see this fountain almost everyday as I walk to and from work but I didn't recognise it from your photo immediately, so I appreciate that you've given me a new perspective on something so familiar :-)

I still have the RHNYC Reunion show to watch on my DVR. Looking forward to crashing on the couch and watching it tonight ;-)

Jane Hards Photography said...

It's the rich dark blue, against those arcs of glistening water that does it for me. It's a wondeful shot.

Mom Knows Everything said...

That picture looks like something out of a movie. I often wonder who those people are that go on reality television shows too. Have a great weekend!

Kitty said...

Hi Spandrel
I'm sure Bethenney will go far. Heck she's gone far already. What a scrappy woman.

Hi Fish
You're lucky to work near there. It's crowded but the Park is so close. Dunno if you ever get up beyond 59th but Tani near 66th and Broadway is a good shoe store.

The reunion show is a catfight. Loved it!

Thanks Babookshka!
Have a great weekend.

Thanks Tammy. The entire area is very photogenic, with tall glittery buildings surrounding the perimeter. Have a good weekend too

Anonymous said...

a beautiful shot.

Kitty said...

Welcome Jungyul, and thank you!