-- --

Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Glimmer of Nature

Fresh Produce
Photo by myself at a Turkish market on 41st Street and 5th Avenue.

A salad bar and fresh produce are nicely presented to customers. Incidentally I was with coworkers when I took this photo, who don't know about this blog. One turned to me with a big grin on her face and said,'You're really crazy, you know that?'

One woman's bushel of zucchini is another woman's photo-op.

--

Thanks for all the kind wishes yesterday. Dida is very touched.

Mark and I will be going to a holistic pet food store in the East Village this weekend for advice. Thanks Brooklynite Kizz for making the suggestion. We'd heard about Whiskers from friends who radically changed the diets of their two cats, which are now sleek and happily interested in their food. We'll keep you posted!

It's been beautiful here these last few days. One great thing about living in Brooklyn is that many of the subways travel over bridges in the mornings. They emerge from dark tunnels to an expansive view of the Brooklyn Bridge and lower Manhattan skyline.

I hope to get a photo from the train one of these mornings. Usually people are too busy making cell phone calls or checking their messages to even look outside, the instant they see sunshine.

It's too bad. They're missing the best part of the ride.

12 comments:

Patrizia said...

Beautiful picture. The colors are very bright and almost make me .. hungry!

You gave a nice idea: I should take a walk at the market too with my camera. But our market is on Monday morning ... kind of hard because I work at that time!

Eva said...

Awww, food! :-D

I love the colours in this picture, kitty.

And please keep us updated about your cat's holistic diet. Do you think it would work for dogs too?

Carolyn said...

Very pretty. I can't wait to go for a Farmers Market and get fresh, locally grown food!

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

This photo is so vibrant - and I can't wait to see the photo of the city you have planned. I hope you capture it, soon!

Isn't it a shame how we get caught up in the hustle and bustle, only to ignore the beauty that's all around us? Your blog reminds me to stop to enjoy the moment, to see things differently, even in my own city.

Kitty said...

Thanks Patrizia
Aw shucks. Perhaps then you need a day off, lol?

Hi Eva
Thanks! I hear great things about one person who works at this holistic store who knows everything about adjusting the diet of your pet. He's supposed to be quite a character. I'll ask about dogs as well and see what he says.

Thanks Carolyn
That's very green of you. Mark and I are trying desperately to be healthier, too. It's tough for us.

Hi Spandrel
Really opening your eyes to what's around you makes your daily life so much richer. Have you tried taking photos? You ought to. It makes your world different.

Your comment made me add a little to my post. I was with coworkers who thought I was a little nuts, lol.

Sid said...

The NY subway fascinates me. We don't have that in Cape Town. Our train stations are all out in the open.

Mom Knows Everything said...

I took some pictures a while ago of the ferry boat we cross everyday and people gave me the weirdest looks for doing it. I just laughed to myself and thought if they only knew. :o)

Kitty said...

Hi Sid
Parts of the subway used to be raised. It's so much better below ground because of the noise and visual disruption to the city.

Hi Tammy
How cute? It's what we see everyday, I guess, that people find strange.

Janet said...

Haha! My DH told me the other day that I will take a picture of anything! We were traveling out of town, and I had my camera shooting pictures from the car window.

Kitty said...

Hi Rambling
I love taking photos from a car, and am glad it's finally nice enough to roll down the windows. You can get great candids from a car window.

Kizz said...

I hope you have a good experience with Whiskers. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Kitty said...

Thanks Kizz!
Phil was on NPR earlier this month, btw. I will have to post about it all soon. :-)