-- --

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Talking About The Weather

The sign says it all
Photo by myself in the East Village, around 10th Street and 2nd Avenue.

A sign posted at a laundromat says it all - it is way too hot to do much of anything here.

--

I have to wonder whether the human body will adapt to our climatic change?

Saturday around noon the sun was high and bright, sending people hiding for cover. You could hear everyone moaning about how hot it was.

I'm usually against using the air conditioner, having been brought up in Boston, the land of cold winters and somewhat tolerable summers. We never had an air conditioner growing up. We just dealt with it.

In these extreme times though, it's a necessity. The one in our bedroom has a nifty feature, called 'energy mode', where the machine periodically shuts off.

Stay cool, everyone!

Related posts: Is It Hot Enough For You?, Vacating The City and A Call for Help.

10 comments:

Carolyn said...

It's hot here too. I haven't been outside for any extended period of time. I don't do heat well!

Profile Not Available said...

It is very muggy here, due to the thunder storms we have had move through the past two evenings. Combined with the high temps...I can't imagine going to a steamy laundromat!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mom Knows Everything said...

It's finally starting to cool down a little bit here. It's supposed to shower, but it is still so muggy out that it's hard to enjoy being outside.

Kitty said...

Hi Carolyn
We don't do heat well, either. Mark especially is glued to the a/c, poor thing.
Stay out of the sun!

Hi Kelly
oy vey, I guess it's terrible everywhere. I shouldn't complain.

I think thousands of people will be forgoing laundry, lol.

Hi Tammy
Stay cool, dear. Hopefully this means the kiddies are running around less?

Ming the Merciless said...

I pretty much hid indoors all weekend, either at home with the A/C at full blast, Barnes & Noble or the movie theater.

I shudder to think what my electric bill will be next month, especially since ConEd said it will raise the rates this year.

The Mouse said...

It's brutal. Best thing to do is sleep through it. or go eat some ice cream. the laundry is piling up in my house because we can't bear to lug it downstairs to the steamy laundry room!

love your photos!!

Anonymous said...

I really wish we could get by with smaller window type units. Our air has run so much the past month, I am afraid to see what our electricity bill will be. :(

Stay cool!

• Eliane • said...

It was a little insane: we couldn't find a place to have brunch. Everything was packed - people trying to get inside I get. Same thing at the movies.

Kitty said...

Hi Ming
We lay low this weekend, too. Thing is, I feel sick in the heat, and I feel sick in the a/c too. Nothing is right!

Welcome Mouse
Thanks for visiting. I hope to check out your blog very soon.

Hope it cools down so you can do your wash.

Hi Tam
A smaller unit would be a great invention. Or maybe something you can pedal by yourself, so you can become fit and cool at the same time?

Hi Elaine
I heard that the Kips Bay theatre had it's a/c out, no ice for refreshments, nothing.
Squalid!