-- --

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Whiling Away the Summer

Summer Nap
Photo by myself in Madison Square Park, during the free concert there Wednesday evening.

This fellow may have just gotten off a plane and is recovering from jet lag. Either that, or he should wake up and get off to the airport!

--

It's hard to post such a photo and claim it's from New York - there's not a hint of asphalt, steel or glass anywhere to be seen.

I'm going through a little rough patch with my picture-taking. Perhaps it's growing pains or a summer slump. Work has been stressful as usual, and there are days when I just don't feel like taking pictures.

But then I'll be walking along like tonight, I'll see all these little things worth sharing with my internet buddies. One click leads to several.

Most of the photos aren't worth keeping. I'll be lucky to have one keeper. But just by taking the photos, I feel better. I forget my work day and I'm more engaged with the world.

I want to thank everyone for being so consistently appreciative here. I really love sharing my bits of New York and other places. It's been my little carrot dangling at the end of the day - dig up a photo, write a little something, and hit 'Publish'.

Related posts: Inspiration

10 comments:

JAMJARSUPERSTAR said...

Maybe he's not going anywhere... maybe his flight got delayed or cancelled or something. Anyway, if you've got nice weather you may as well make the most of it!
Ciao

http://scarletsculturegarden.blogspot.com
http://jamjarsuperstar.blogpspot.com

Olivier said...

une petite sieste dans le Madison Square Park, voila une bonne idée, tranquille la vie ;o)
a little nap in the Madison Square Park, this is a good idea, quiet life ;o)

Daryl said...

I would guess he's not on his way to or from anywhere ... I bet he lives on the street....

And as a born/lived here my whole life New Yawker I dont think asphalt or concrete are what makes New York "New York"

:-Daryl

Wayne said...

When you live in a city and have the to contend with the the day to day issues we all have but I feel slightly envious of those daily photo bloggers who live in my favourite cities. Such as NYC.

Mom Knows Everything said...

With that luggage it looks like he is either going to coming from somewhere. ;o)

Kris McCracken said...

Your description of how you approach taking photographs is very similar to mine. I’m glad that I’m not the only one!

Kizz said...

Do you ever go over to the Shutter Sisters site? I find some good photo inspiration there. Love this shot.

dianasfaria.com said...

I have posted photos many times that I think are less than ideal only to have people wind up telling me how much they like them, which is comforting.
I don't remember ever seeing a photo on your site that I didn't like. you must be a natural.
It has been a hot summer in Manhattan this year. I bet this guy just got tired from traveling in the heat, heard the music, saw the grass, and decided to chill out for a moment.

Isadora said...

:) Perhaps he is where he wants to be: he came packed to spend the week-end in the park.

Kitty said...

Hi Scarlet
He certainly seemed worry-free, so maybe a cancellation is right?

Hi Olivier
Yes, I agree. Who would not like to nap out on the grass?

Hi Daryl
I agree, the metal/glass is really a cliched view of this place. To me, it's more about the energy, the people, the streets.

Cool to meet people who've grown up here. Those I know are usually very precocious. You grow up fast.

Welcome Wayne
I look forward to visiting your blog.

Yes, I think city dwellers and NYers have it easy in terms of photo taking. There's a wealth of sheer stuff that's going on here.

Hi Tammy
I should have woken him up and asked!

Hi Kris
Flattered to know you work the same way. I love your photos, they're brilliant.

Hi Kizz
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to visit!

Thanks Lily
I enjoy your photos, too. It's funny, how subjective and critical one can be.

Now that I'm thinking of it, maybe he was a tourist who had to leave his hotel but had a very late flight?

Hi Isadora
lol, good guess!