-- --

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Skating Under the Empire State

Skating in Bryant Park, NYC
Photo by myself in Bryant Park, at 42nd Street and 6th Avenue.

Each winter, an ice rink replaces the grass in this popular park near the Main Library on 42nd Street. The $12 admission fee includes the skate rental. In the background looms the Empire State Building.

--

Tuesday was a late night at the office for me...midnight, to be exact. And the crazy thing is, I was not the only one there! A couple of my coworkers were also slogging it out on their projects.

Fortunately, Wednesday's meeting went well. The owners live in a gorgeous apartment on the Upper East Side. Because of the economy, they are postponing the project for a year - adding central air conditioning, and completely redoing several rooms, now that their children have left the nest.

As a treat, I walked around after the meeting to take some photos. It was fun to see hoards of people skating around, enjoying themselves in the night air.

Related posts: Out to Lunch, Braving the Chill in Bryant Park, and Mass Mentality.

8 comments:

Fredrik said...

Looks wonderful! We had a go on a similar ice rink in Paris a couple of years ago. I remember the spectacular lighting and music.

Catz said...

Wonderful photo! You have captured the atmosphere and feeling of the evening perfectly.

dianasfaria.com said...

I am so curious, Were these people out skating at midnite?
That sure would be a fun date I think!

Mom Knows Everything said...

That looks so festive and happy.

Fashion Schlub said...

I long to see hordes of people :-) And what a great shot with them all on the ice. Someday I will skate in NYC, ahhhh...

Anonymous said...

Work til Midnight? Oof! That sounds like a regular occurrence for you, Kitty... Be sure to take care of yourself, in addition to your projects.

Kitty said...

Hi Fredrik
I suppose it's the NYer in me who feels that skating in Paris would be much more romantic. That's nice.

Thanks Catz!

Hi Lily
I didn't mean to mislead anyone - the photo was from the night after my midnight work day. I must have shot it around 7pm.

A midnight skate would be fun though. I'd be up for it!

Thanks Tammy!

Hi Bettye
I have a feeling the rink will be there beyond the holidays, if you're in town. Do come and enjoy it!

Thanks Spandrel!
The overwork comes all too easily for me. It is a terrible trap. Hope you are well!

abc said...

Great winter night time atmosphere. I like the way you portray everyday life in New York. The pictures and stories make me feel a little bit like being there.
I just joined CDP with amsterdamdailyphoto.com. You're welcome to visit and comment. Would be great to hear from New Amsterdam :-)