-- --

Friday, January 2, 2009

On Dogs in the City

Prospect Park, Brooklyn
Photo by myself in Prospect Park, Brooklyn.

On a recent walk in Prospect Park, the trees were looking wintry.

--

For those interested in keeping a dog in New York, beware. A recent article in The New Yorker reports on the fear of dognapping on the Upper West Side. Little dogs are said to be snatched from their owners for a ransom, after their leashes are cut.

According to the article, it's not known whether the dognappings are real, but since the rumors began, there has been an increase in sturdy leash sales.

Typically, New Yorkers leave their dogs tied up outside stores or restaurants with a view of the street. Some restaurants and stores allow you to bring Rover in. On the subway, seeing eye dogs are allowed, as well as small dogs in carriers.

Related posts: Keeping Your Dogs in a Row, Shooting (Film) in the Park and Sundays in the Park.

8 comments:

fishwithoutbicycle said...

I read that article about the dog napping too. Fingers crossed it's an unfounded rumour.

The size of many people's dogs still surprises me in NYC. There's a guy on my street that has a great dane in what must be a relatively small walk up. I hope he has a dog walker ;-)

I'm always surprised when restaurants allow you to bring dogs inside. It doesn't exactly seem to be the most hygienic practice.

Anonymous said...

Sweet New Year dear Kitty!

I want to take the opportunity to tell you that I absolutely love the way that you portray New York in your blog. It's a real pleasure to keep discovering the City through your eyes.

theVirtualOffice said...

This is a great blog. I do love NYC and you really have put this together wonderfully. Thank you.

Fredrik said...

You better keep Rupert close then!

bitingmidge said...

I also enjoy my infrequent visits to your site, Ihope you have a fantastic 2009, and you keep your dog on a chain that can't be cut!

Sunshine Coast Daily - Australia

Kizz said...

I hadn't heard about the leash cutting angle or the ransom but ever since I became part of the dog culture here I've met people who have had dogs stolen. It's awful and people don't ever really recover from the experience. I'm wary of leaving my big old dog outside stores or restaurants. If I had a small dog I don't think I could do it. Too scary.

Ken Mac said...

i think these scary looking limbs would snatch dogs, cats, kids, old ladies.....! WIld!

PJ said...

It's nice to see you do a simple nature tableau, Kitty. It's wonderfully done.