-- --

Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Throngs in Union Square

Union Square, NYC
Photo by myself in Union Square.

This public area is constantly filled with people, performers and vendors. At times, the space is used for vigils or public protest.

--

Hurrah, a long weekend! Mark and I are looking forward to a restful few days, though Mark has to work.

The city is always a bit quieter on the holidays. Usually, since so many people take the long weekend off, the trains and streets are emptier. My commute to work on Friday was desolate by comparison.

Happy Memorial Day weekend, everyone! Do you have any special plans?

Related posts: Playing in the Rain, Union Square, Reflections Apres Happy Hour and Case Closed.

8 comments:

seanjonesfoto said...

great pic! I lived at 15th and 5th until January of this year, and used to hang out here all of the time... the energy at Union Square is amazing. I miss that whole foods... :(

Lou said...

LOVE IT! I think the whole of NY has a great energy but you're right, Union Square is particularly amazing. :)

Ken Mac said...

and this was a slow day...

dianasfaria.com said...

I miss the green market! nice photo Kitty.
mall, driving out east, photo hunting, parade, barbecue,these are my plans, unusual for me, traditionally I never have plans for memorial day.

Anonymous said...

Wow! A lotta folks out there.

paz

Kitty said...

Hi Sean
What a nice block to live on? I'd have a tough time with the constant crowds. I'm sure the apartments facing the back are quieter.

Thanks Lou!

Hi Ken
Yes indeedy. Actually I went by on Sunday and there was a huge Taiwanese festival with food vendors and performers. I'll post a photo from it later.

Hi Lily
What a restful weekend? Memorial Day is perfectly scheduled for the beginning of the summer, making such wanderings possible.

Thanks Paz!

How very said...

it is my favorite place to sit and watch.

Mike said...

I like the pictures with crowds of people in them. A lot going on.