-- --

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Passing the Time, Underground

On the Subway, NYC
Photo by myself on the subway.

Many subway riders occupy themselves with games on their cell phones or other devices. Other riders read books or magazines. The rest either sleep or stare off in space.

--

Once again, subway fares are going up, here in New York.

The once $2 per ride fare will be $2.25, starting today (Sunday). The increase is New York State's solution to the $1.8 billion dollar deficit in the transportation sector.

Bridge and tunnel tolls are going up 10 percent, too. In this economy.


On another note, here's the latest video of our dog Rupert, who just turned 11 months old. There's footage of some typical tug-of-war antics and shenanigans.

I've set up a new spot on the sidebar for his fans.

Enjoy!

Related posts: On Taking Candids, A Much-Needed Nap and The Trains are Hopping.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to say it but I don't think 10% will save it. Even as the coral reefs are being killed by global warming, I think NY will end up like Charley the Tuna factory -- a museum of rusting tin cans.

On the the other hand, if they raise rates 25 pr 50% across the board, many people might leave on their own and bring the cost of operating the city down to reasonable levels.

dianasfaria.com said...

oh my gosh Abe, what a depressing thought!
Kitty I think your subway photo is by far one of the best I have seen of people acting naturally in NY in the subway.

Kitty said...

Ha Abe. That's very 'I Am Legend'.
New York has that propensity to be about both glamour and decay.

I hate to be cynical but I feel the city has changed already from being something alive and inhabited, to being on view. Hopefully you're right.

Hi Lily
Thanks so much. I was pushing the envelope, I have to say, with a woman watching me in the seat next to me.

Theresa111 said...

I love your Rupert. He looks like my toy puppy who I call Buddy. I want a puppy too!

However, please be careful on toys he could possibly choke on or get lodged in his throat. Oprah had a dog who died from this. He is so cute I just want him to be safe. You are so luck.

Theresa111 said...

LUCKY!

Kitty said...

ha, Theresa

Thanks so much for your advice. I've let Mark know and we've finally taken away Rupert's red rubber dumbbell, which had been chewed to bits.

I recommend getting a puppy if you have an okay amount of space and ample patience. They are a HANDFUL, even the cutest ones, which have way too much energy and are small enough to be able to run underneath furniture!!

I'd love to know if you wind up getting one. There are so many animals out there in general that deserve great homes and families.

Fredrik said...

Your subway pics are just great! Have a nice day!