-- --

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Meat Market, Ninth Avenue

Pork Shop, Hell's KitchenPhoto by myself at 38th Street and Ninth Avenue.

As the signs say, you can get game at this Hell's Kitchen butcher, such as quail, pheasant and rabbit. Not your style? You can also procure filet mignon, osso buco and pigs' toes.

Esposito & Sons provides high quality meats to restaurants all over Manhattan.

--

Sometime soon, I'll have to do a walk around Hell's Kitchen. You can get so much great food there, from classic pizza to Brazilian, Greek or Ethiopean fare.

I used to work in the area, and at one time I knew it well. It's changed a lot in the last several years - developer buildings have gone up, old grocery stores have left, chain stores have moved in. Sadly, the variety of food has diminished, too.

It's nice to know that places such as Esposito's remains. I've never stepped inside, but I've long admired the signage, which is quirky and distinctive.

For the Esposito website, where you can purchase an array of sausage, click
here.

Related posts: On Chrystie Street and Photography 101, Signs of Hope and On Radio City and the Whitney Museum.

7 comments:

The Sexy Pedestrian said...

Gorgeous pic!

eamon@ewmphotography said...

great pic of what I'd call an honest-to-goodness business.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

That is a great pic Kitty, it makes me think of old New York. Hells Kitchen has definitely changed over the last few years. I've worked in the neighbourhood for 8years and it's striking how different it is now!! Gentrification is nipping at the heels of 10th/11th Avenues too!!

Printemps said...

A Vesta!

James said...

Nice picture. I saw this place on a TV show.

Ken Mac said...

i love this place and your monochrome puts it smack dab in the mid 1960s!

dianasfaria.com said...

what a cool store. I love how your photograph emphasizes the signage.