-- --

Monday, March 15, 2010

Buried among Towers, in Midtown

Midtown, NYC
Photo by myself in Midtown.

I'm sure most people think of modern towers when they think of Midtown. As you can see however, there are still some older walk-up buildings interspersed among the taller buildings.

After a while, you get used to being in elevator buildings. I never really encountered elevators on a daily basis before living here. Now, it is second nature.

Unspoken elevator etiquette that most New Yorkers heed to includes holding the door open for stragglers, using 'indoor' voices, and pressing the button of your floor as soon as you get in the car.

Many of the newer elevators have LCD screens showing news headlines. It's odd to be in a little space where everyone is looking in the same direction. Unfortunately, the 'news' shown is never really great. It's usually a mix of celebrity gossip and weather forecasts. Sad!

Transit for the Masses, Dusk Among Towers and The Towers Near Riverside Park.

12 comments:

Frank de Jol said...

Superb!

Olivier said...

superbe photo de NYC la nuit, un vrai poster

Unknown said...

When in New York for a while, you get so used to being surrounded by the tall buildings around you that when you come back to suburbia, it feels strange!

Ashley said...

LOVE this pic. I'm dying to come back. I love being buried among towers! :)

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

A gorgeous shot, Kitty! The color of the light is perfect.

Robert said...

This is such a beautiful building you look ad straight ahead! With it's lights on. Just super!

Ken Mac said...

i see spiderman

Fredrik said...

Ooh, I like this one. Love the lights.
I can't imagine what it's like living in a shadow. I wouldn't stand it.

glduro_marieloupe said...

Beautiful! What wonderful color!

jr222 said...

This picture is AMAZING! I always think it's so difficult to get a good night shot of the city without coming across as "touristy". Sometimes when I'm in a full elevator, I like to turn around and look up towards the back. People always get a kick out of it - either 'cuz it breaks them out of their tension or just know that I'm crazy:-)

Louis la Vache said...

Crimony! "News" in the elevator! That ranks right up there in gaucheness with those flat screen monitors on top of gas pumps with the same trashy 'celebrity' gossip...

OK. Now that «Louis» has got that out of his system, lovely photo, Kitty...

HA! The word verification is also a French Verb Lesson: elever!

Inspiration & Coffee said...

I like this picture very much!:)