-- --

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Greetings from a New York Pie, in Midtown

NY Pizza
Photo by myself on Fifth Avenue, in Midtown.

I got a wave and a smile from a slice of New York pizza, Tuesday.

New York is known for our thin crust pizza - the many Ray's Pizza locations, John's Pizza in the Times Square area, Lombardi's in Soho, Grimaldi's in DUMBO. And we have a few places that offer pies with ridiculously fancy toppings and Sicilian pies, too.

I had my first 'Grandma's Pizza' in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, at Casanova, on McGuiness Boulevard.

What is Grandma's pizza, you ask? It's a square pie that's covered in plum tomato sauce mozzarella, garlic and olive oil. The crust is thicker than 'thin crust' pizza, but not so doughy as a Sicilian pie. Trust me, it is deelish. (My mouth is watering, just thinking about it).

Here's a video of a guy named Chef Bruno, demonstrating how to make a Grandma's pizza. He is not known for speed, nor spelling! No criticisms, please, or he breaka your legs.



Cow Appreciation Day, Fifth Avenue, Big Green Monster, in Midtown and Step Lively.

8 comments:

Pat said...

Cute! I haven't seen a walking pizza for quite some time....

Olivier said...

coucou ;o) belle mascotte ;o) je me demande si il a le droit de garder le deguisement a la fin de sa journée de travail ;)

Washington said...

I love pizza (it is not so good for my triglycerides level, but that's okay)! I will surely go to Lombardi's and John's Pizza during my trip to New York!

Sandy at Ooh La Frou Frou said...

Oh my gosh, this makes me want a good pizza and I just finished my oatmeal!

Kitty, being a newcomer to your blog, one of my favorite things about your site is that you are not just taking pictures from your collection of photos, but you're actually snapping sites in NY every day and that makes me feel as if I'm really there. Thanks for the mini-vacation!

Fashion Schlub said...

ha, who doesn't love a walking a-slice-a-pizza!

funny, cuz i just snapped a shot of almost an entire pizza laying on 3rd Ave in Bay Ridge yesterday!

dianasfaria.com said...

I love "Grandma" pizza!

Louis la Vache said...

...and after he breaka your leg, he smasha your face!

Fredrik said...

I miss that kind of advertising over here!