-- --

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Within the New York Public Library, in Midown

New York Public Library
Photo by myself in the main branch of the New York Public Library, at 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue.

Built at the turn of the last century, this stately building is one of the most recognizable landmarks in New York. Its marble facade sits atop a flight of broad steps, at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street.

I'd forgotten how beautiful the building was until I revisited this week. I was seriously astounded at every turn.

More photos from my visit, tomorrow.

--

The Times has a lead story today on another incredible architectural relic, in Detroit. The main train station there is in complete disrepair, the last train having run 20 years ago.

The have some amazing photos of the building, which is 18 stories tall. It is sad to see such a once-majestic building in shambles.

You can see the article here.

Architecture, a Glorified Profession, Going Postal in Midtown and In the Shadow of Alice Tully Hall, on the Upper West Side.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wau something for me :-) The mystery place of the book Lethal Legacy. But I don`t know if exactly this building. It seems to be. I`m looking forward to next photos :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice look at history without its glory. Naked with the lights low.

Wayne said...

It would be a tragedy if the Detroit station doesn't survive but it's very difficult to see how it could be saved now.

A few months ago I travelled past the Buffalo Central Station which is every bit as magnificent, and abandoned. There are efforts being made to save it. Good luck to both of them.

Thanks for the link Kitty.

Rachel said...

Good picture! I havent stopped by your site in awhile but I'm glad I did because you always have good pics!

Louis la Vache said...

"Modern" architecture lacks the nobility achieved in beautiful buildings like this...

Lou said...

One of my favourite places in NYC. It's just so peaceful and beautiful. I could have sat in there for hours.

Surprised you got a photo though- i took one and was told off by a guard- said it was a breach of security?! WTF?!

Great pic. :)