-- --

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Old-Fashioned Knife Sharpening, in Park Slope, Brooklyn

Get your knives sharpened, Brooklyn
Photo by myself around 10th Street and 8th Avenue, in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

In the spirit of old-timey goodness, a knife sharpening truck still tours the streets Brooklyn. People can bring out their knives and scissors to be sharpened on the spot.

The service has gotten mixed reviews online, but I like the spirit of it, just the same. There is more than one knife sharpening company here, believe it or not, so the tradition is not quite at the brink of extinction.

Related posts: Bay Ridge, Back in Time, in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn and Meat Market, Ninth Avenue.

5 comments:

dianasfaria.com said...

These trucks drive around our neighborhood every once in awhile.
This is such a nice capture in black and white.

lewi14@gmail.com said...

What a useful service.

Kitty said...

Thanks Lily!
I had no idea they had them in Long Island. What a hoot?

Yes, Lewi, I agree!

mari said...

Fantastic shot, and I agree with Lily, it looks great in black and white. Wish they would stop by my 'hood; I need some knives and scissors sharpened!

Unknown said...

I love these old-fashioned knife sharpening carts. Actually, what's interesting about many of these carts is that they use DMT's ceramic sharpener, which is technically a newer sharpening technology as opposed to what was used historically.

Hope I could enlighten you.

- Your local sharpening expert