-- --

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Playing Pianos as Public Art

Piano Duet, NYC
Photo by myself at Lincoln Center, around 62nd Street and Broadway.

Above, the latest outdoor public art installation called Play Me I'm Yours. 60 pianos were placed around Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island for pedestrians to sit down and play.

I caught these two behind the Lincoln Center complex last week, playing a rowdy duet. I must say the element of discovery - rounding the corner and finding a real piano - is so very New York.

All the pianos were donated, then painted in playful colors by artists before going on display. The event lasted two weeks, from June 21st to July 5th. The installation has also been staged in other cities, like London, Barcelona and Sidney Sydney.

For more about the effort, go to the organization's website, or read an article in the Times here.

Related posts: From the Rooftops in Madison Square Park, Village People, in Sheridan Square and I *Heart* New York, Downtown.

11 comments:

Olivier said...

amusant ce concert au milieu de NYC...

Anonymous said...

sp * Sydney

Anonymous said...

Great pic.

Kitty said...

Thanks Anon!

dianasfaria.com said...

what a great shot. it really amazes me how uncrowded corners can still be found in Manhattan.
catching up here is always fun Kitty.
I've been away for awhile and when I am, I miss your blog.

emma said...

I agree, stumbling upon a piano at the next corner is very new york. The picture is another great addition to your wonderful blog :)

Ken Mac said...

there used to be a piano player in the empty lot that is now the TRump Tower right around the corner from this location. he w2as there for years....

Eve said...

Seriously missing NY right now. Hi, I'm Eve from England but born and raised in Brooklyn NY. Great to be at your blog. Please come visit mine Eveshouse.blogspot.com

Kitty said...

Thanks a lewis!
I like this photo quite a bit myself. The beach grasses in the planters, the huge tower in the background, the fellows obviously enjoying playing...there's something for everyone.

Hi Lily,
Where in the world were you? Was it an extended stay in Montauk?

Thanks Emma!

Hi Ken,
I never heard of that piano player. How incredible?

Welcome Eve!
Always great to meet an ex-NYer!

Fatphobic said...

i love this one!

Anonymous said...

I had heard about that a few months ago and it looks like it turned out good. It's a fantastic idea!