-- --

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Whitney Museum, on the Upper East Side

Whitney canopy
Photo by myself on Madison Avenue and 75th Street, on the Upper East Side.

The modern facade of the Whitney Museum of American Art includes a huge canopy made of concrete, that is supported at the ends. The building was built in the mid-1960s. I was in the neighborhood on Monday for a doctor's appointment.

The museum's permanent collection includes work from Matthew Barney, Andy Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat and my personal favorite, Berenice Abbott.

I'm not hip enough about modern art to know anything about the current exhibits, which are ultra-modern and include conceptual and video art.

To check out the Whitney website, click here.

Related posts: From the Rooftop of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, High Above the Metropolitan Museum and Another Look at the New Museum, on the Bowery.

7 comments:

Chrissy Brand said...

Would love to get there on my next NYC trip. Well timed photo with the 2 passers by who seem deep in thought.

Chrissy
http://mancunianwave.blogspot.com/

Olivier said...

j'aime beaucoup le Whitney Museum (sauf l'interdiction de prendre des photos) et surtout la salle en hommage à Edward Hopper

anne mancine said...

I love the Whitney! One of the times I was there, we saw one of those ultra modern installations of which you speak by the artist Tim Hawkinson. It was fascinating! I don't know if I "got" everything the artist had put out there, but I enjoyed it very much.

Ken Mac said...

Haven't been there in a while. Hope your appt went well.

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

I love the brutalist beauty of Marcel Breuer's fortress-like building. Must have totally shocked the UES when it was first built.

biebkriebels said...

I loved the museum, they have very special exhibitions.

Kitty said...

Thanks folks!
I haven't visited inside the museum in forever.

Thanks Chrissy!

Hi Olivier
I love Edward Hopper, too. They have an extensive collection of his work at the Whitney. Yet another reason to visit.

Hi Anne,
I haven't heard of Hawkinson. That's cool that you visited. Some of the modern work out there these days are a 'reach' for me.

Thanks Ken
It was a routine check up. :-)

Hi Terry!
it's a pretty cool building on the outside, as you say. The cantilevers (at the facade as well) seem to defy gravity. I agree, it must have caused a ruckus way back when.

Hi Bieb!
You are so good to have visited.
I think the Whitney has tough competition from the likes of the Met and Guggenheim, where the art is more accessible.