-- --

Monday, March 19, 2012

Back to the Grind, in Midtown

Pushcart, Midtown
Photo by myself at 35th Street and Sixth Avenue, in Midtown.

A fellow pushed a cart for Karen Miller, a company that designs formal dresses. I have a feeling he saw me and was trying to avoid being in the photo.

In Midtown and around Seventh Avenue, you still often see carts loaded with clothing and bolts of fabric.

--

I used to post black and white photos more often, but now I feel more comfortable with color. Black and white can be more striking, but you lose some nice contrasts - a bright white LED light next to a fluorescent storefront, for example.

These days I post in black and white when the color doesn't look so good - the camera might be focused to be in one area, and there is a distracting swatch of red in the background. I've learned from experience that black and white photos are best when taken on overcast days, so the sky looks white in the image.

In today's photo, I just thought the black and white was a nice change of pace.

Related posts: On Crossing the Street and Living Dangerously, Under Cover, Midtown, and Street Corner, in Midtown.

6 comments:

Olivier said...

ca fait partie de l'imagerie New Yorkaise

s.c said...

B&W gives it a more streetwise look by influence of the great photo,s of the past. But in this case it could perhaps also in color. I am not sure and your photo,s are as always very interesting on their own.

biebkriebels said...

It is a nice streetview with people doing different things.B&W or colour i don't mind. I always like your photos.

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Kitty, I like the b & W in this one too, but gosh don't you just love that bloke's facial expression!!

Mandy said...

I agree, the black and white is so perfect for this picture. In my mind I can see this in color, I can smell the streets of New York, imagining that I'm standing near a cafe or street vendor and I can hear all the lovely and loud noises of a typical New York day. Great photo! It reminds me that I need to visit again soon.

J.C. said...

I like the street scene of your city. Read some websites about street photography this afternoon and I am really inspired now to hit the road tomorrow to take some street shots.