-- --

Sunday, April 1, 2012

On the Sidewalk and Whole Foods, in Chelsea

7th Avenue, nyc Photo by myself around 23rd Street and Seventh Avenue, in Chelsea.

Several people were seen on the sidewalk sporting paper bags from Whole Foods on Saturday, a popular grocery store chain here in the city.

Whole Foods is often referred to as 'Whole Paycheck', because of the high prices. Regardless, people continue to shop there because the stores are huge, stocked with fresh organic produce and loads of prepared foods.

--
I don't have a ton of photos from Chelsea, a neighborhood on the west side, around 16th to 28th Streets.

One reason for this is that I don't know Chelsea too well. I'd drop into the neighborhood to quickly whirl through Bed, Bath and Beyond, a huge housewares store, to get Brita filters. Or I'd swing by to browse at the Housingworks location on 17th Street, a nice used clothing and furniture store.

The major reason for the lack of photos, though, is...how shall I say it? Parts of the neighborhood are not so nice looking. Along 7th and 8th Avenues are a motley assortment of large new and old buildings for various superstores, that lack charm.

I'm terribly superficial, I know. But when I was in the neighborhood last month, I was reminded of the lovely side streets lined with pretty, old brownstones. There was no time at all on Saturday, so I'll have to re-visit the neighborhood soon!

Related posts: Fresh on the Upper West Side, Food on the Brain, and Bright Lights and Cured Meats on the Upper West Side.

4 comments:

Banjo52 said...

I'm a big Whole Foods fan, but I do like buildings that look old enough to have character, yet do not seem run down or bland or defeated. On the other hand, the Detroit suburbs with some character can be congested.

Your participation at my place lately has been great. Solid A. Oh hell, A+. Thanks.

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Sounds like some terrific stores Kitty and those charming brownstones sound a treat, but how do you get those wonderful people shots! especially that fellow in the foreground not looking at the camera. Amazing.

Kitty said...

Thanks Banjo!
I only visited part of Michigan once, very briefly (Bloomfield Hills) and sadly have never been to Detroit. It sounds like a cool area to visit.

Hi Rose,
Thanks so much. This photo was as result of dumb luck!

Cloudia said...

the probing photo
and tempered, simple words,
make this a great post.


Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>

><}}(°>