-- --

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pedicab, on Sixth Avenue

Pedicab, nyc
Photo by myself on Sixth Avenue, in Midtown.

A pedicab driver posed for me the other day. Behind him, was a slew of regular yellow cabs.

I asked him about his mock license plate on the front of his bike. He doesn't actually own a taxi license, which costs hundreds of thousands of dollars and are bolted down to the hoods of yellow cabs.

As you can see, it's been raining on and off recently, but this pedicab is equipped for the weather. He asked whether he could give me a ride.

I laughed and said I was going to Brooklyn. A long trip!

Related posts: Pedalling Around Columbus Circle, Before a Tour, Pedicab Style, and Working It.

7 comments:

Olivier said...

j'avoue que j'ai jamais pris de Pedicab quand j'etais a NYC, mais j'aime bien cette idee, tres ecologique, donc tres dans l'air du temps

s.c said...

Nice portrait Kitty. I am wondering if they can be competitive with the yellow cab's.

Andy said...

This is a job for the young.

dianasfaria.com said...

it always amazes me when I see these guys bicycling their fares right in the middle of things. They must be quite strong!
I like all the yellows in this shot Kitty.

Banjo52 said...

How old was the oldest pedicab driver you've ever seen? I'm winded just thinking about it.

Kitty said...

Hi Olivier
Good point, it is good for the environment. I never thought of it that way!

Thanks SC!
So far I've seen pedicab drivers chatting together as buddies, so I'm hoping there's a different vibe.

Hi Andy
Yes. And for guys only. I have yet to see a female pedicab driver.

Hi Lily
Yeah I'd be winded after the first block. Some manage to pedal and talk! Egads!

Hi Banjo!
They all seem very spry. And I agree, there must be easier ways to earn a buck? But you'd get in shape so quickly!

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

Nice shot, Kitty! And I love how the overcast day makes the yellow pop.