Photo by myself of Big Nick's Burger Joint on the Upper West Side, on Broadway and 76th Street. As the signs say, you can get ostrich and bison burgers at Big Nick's.
People are dining in full force on the street now with the nice weather. You wouldn't think that eating on the sidewalk with car and pedestrian traffic ambling by would be so great, but New Yorkers look forward to it all winter.
You contend with bright sunshine, or winds, or a passing drizzle, or pan handlers, or noise, or smokers. But there's something about eating on the sidewalk that feels glamorous and privileged. Even if you're just having a burger.
Lately the planet Mercury has been 'retrograde'.
You hear the term mentioned sometimes. People offer it up as an explanation for machines, communication and plans going haywire. (Mercury is the planet representing communication, and 'retrograde' means that the planet temporarily looks like it's moving backwards in its trajectory, from planet Earth).
I know there are probably loads of disbelievers out there. I've had an interest in astrology for a while, if only because there have been too many coincidences for me to deny.
So recently Mercury has been retrograde since May 26th. What's happened?
Well poor Mark, who trades moderately on ebay, has had a few things happen since the evening of May 25:
1. His Paypal account directed one of his packages to an address 4 years out of date.
2. He mailed a package to an incorrect address Paypal had given him.
3. Another package he mailed was damaged by the postal service.
4. Yet another ebay transaction did not do well. The recipient misunderstood the ad and left Mark his first negative feedback in over 4 years.
5. He got a parking ticket, even though it was announced on television that parking rules were suspended this week in Park Slope.
6. One of the mirrors belonging to his grandfather fell off the wall.
7. In opening the closet, he broke some of my teacups.
Mercury does not go direct until June 19th. I've told Mark to drive more carefully in the meantime.
Related posts: What are the Chances and Finito