-- --

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Outside Biography Books, Bleeker Street

Book sale, Bleeker Street
Photo by myself on Bleeker Street, outside the Biography Book Shop, an adorable book store in the village.

A woman browsed despite the cold, while her little dog stood guard.

--

As typical with December, there is a definite chill in the air. It's in the mid-40s when I leave the house in the mornings, and drops below freezing at night.

Mark has been asking me every other week about how long we'll continue living in New York.

I think the weather wears on you, the older you get. New Yorkers especially are a hardy bunch, walking everywhere and often toting bags of stuff. We are buffeted by winds, rain and snow, just to get to the office each day. And then there's the grocery store, the pet store, post office and all else.

Right now we're getting by but it's not even really cold yet. All I can do is think about February and shiver!

Related posts: Sharing a Moment, Keeping Your Dogs in a Row and Our Four-Legged Friends.

11 comments:

Olivier said...

cela me fait penser au bouquiniste le long de la seine à Paris.
it makes me think of the bouquiniste along the Seine in Paris.

Anonymous said...

Well, rather selfishly, I hope you won't move, as I love this insight into Life in New York.

But I do understand about the cold. I loathe it. It is really cold here today - thick frost - and the sun just does not have any strength at all.

But the cold makes for better photographs maybe? Better light?

Kizz said...

I love Biography Books. If I lived closer to it I'd be broke.

One of the many great things having a dog in NYC will do for you is force you to buy really stellar winter gear. When you know you have to stand in the park for an hour on a February morning so your dog gets his ya yas out and doesn't chew every book at his height while you're at work $200 for a coat seems smart not exorbitant. I used to run around with no hat or gloves in a biker jacket with a sweater underneath. Then I got a dog. Hats, gloves, scarves, boots even! I can't wait to see if your pooch loves snow.

Anonymous said...

I like this photo. The dog looks ready to head back home. ;-) I prefer this cold weather than the city summer weather (hot, humid, horrid!).

Paz

Just Roaming The Cities said...

I like the way the dog is just hanging out waiting at attention almost. Nice blog!

dianasfaria.com said...

Love this photo Kitty & I always loved this book store. I am glad it is still around.
You have to tell Mark that new yorkers never move, besides, I would miss you way too much!

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

I understand about the cold. I live in Chicago, after all. But think about what you'd be giving up for the sake of climate. The best illustration I've heard is that people in Chicago put up with the weather to live in a great city, while people in San Diego put up with the city to live in a great climate. Well, New York is a great city times a thousand.

Anonymous said...

The lil' doggie looks so cute! The owner looks happy to have him along too. A pet can brighten up these gloomy days... luckily Xmas is around the corner sprucing us up a huff with all the fab' light decorations. Courage!

Anonymous said...

With each passing winter, taking up residence in warmer climes has more appeal for me, too! At least here in the 'burbs, we can just jump into the car to get around - I can't imagine braving the cold New York winters, schlepping to and fro with just a coat to protect you from the elements. Stay warm, Kitty!

kostas said...

Elegant lady!

sonia a. mascaro said...

Love this photo! Books and dog, LOVE both!