-- --

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

On the View in Times Square and Street Photography

Sitting in Times Square
Photo by myself in Times Square, around Broadway and 43rd Street.

A photo from earlier this year, showing the public space that Broadway has become in Times Square. The street has been shut down from car traffic. Many lawn chairs were strewn about for tired visitors to rest their feet.

The street furniture may have changed since I took this photo in mid-June.

For a side view of this scene, click here.

--

Yesterday in relation to street photography, Gail's Man of Nottingham Daily Photo referred to the photographer Bruce Gilden.

A respected Magnum Photographer, Gilden was born in Brooklyn. New York figures prominently in his work, which is decidedly 'in your face.'

Mark found a youtube video showing Gilden in action. Mind you, I'm nothing like this guy.

I hope you enjoy this video as much as I do.



Related posts: Times Square, NYC, Life in the Balance and Time for Valentine's.

6 comments:

Kizz said...

It's interesting to see him in action. I can't imagine being that bold. But he's also kind of inserting himself into the moment, he's forcing a reaction and that's what he's taking the photo of which I'm not super fond of. Thanks for sharing!

Olivier said...

très bon la vidéo. J'aime voir times-square comme cela, j'espère que fin octobre ce sera encore comme ça.

Tiago said...

Hi Kitty (I hope you are feeling better)! Do you know if this free traffic zone in Time Square will be temporary?

Kitty said...

Hi Kizz
I basically agree with you...and I can't believe that people don't respond more harshly to him. I'm sure they're just so flabbergasted, lol.

Hi Olivier
I'm sure Times Square will be slightly different by your October visit - the seating will probably be more substantial and there will probably be vendors. Love to know what you think.

Hi TC
Thanks so much, I'm feeling much better :-)

I have no idea whether the shut down is permanent. It seemed like a 'wait and see' situation.

Judging by the general response though, I think this arrangement will stay for a while.

Fredrik said...

Thanks for the clip. Interesting to watch his technique. Wish I was that bold!

Calogero said...

I am coming and sitting... :-)