-- --

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

On Canal Street and Annie Liebovitz

Canal Street, NYC
Photo by myself on Canal Street, in Chinatown.

Even in the heat, Canal Street was busy, Monday evening.

People were milling about, bargaining for jewelry, bags and 'designer' fragrances. If you're in a hurry, this is not the neighborhood for you. The sidewalks are usually jam-packed during the day.

--

For those photography-lovers who admire Annie Leibovitz, there's a long article about her in this week's New York Magazine.

The portrait photographer won a prestigious award last year from the International Center of Photography, based on her complete work. She is going through personal financial trouble and the article traces her career from beginning to present.

To read more about one of today's most recognized photographers, click here.

Related posts: All Lit up on Canal Street, Fish Market, Chinatown and A Careful Choice, in Chinatown.

8 comments:

B SQUARED said...

I saw an exhibit of her works in NYC years ago. She certainly has an uncanny ability to find the essence of people through her camera.

elsie said...

Canal street makes me happy!

Kate said...

Canal Street looks fun and exciting. I bet it's a candid photographers dream.

Ken Mac said...

apparently her neighbors don't care for her. She seems like a nice lady even if I can't stand her fakish photos!

• Eliane • said...

I love and hate Canal Street. I really can't decide which feeling wins.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Canal St is the armpit of Manhattan as far as I am concerned. I really hate it down there. Unfortunately my parents absolutely love it - I must be adopted - so whenever they are in town they force me to go down there. Ugh ;-)

Anonymous said...

Haven't been to Canal street in ages.

I don't know too much about Annie Liebovitz.

Paz

Kitty said...

Hi B Squared
I agree. I saw her work somewhere, too. There was one image that struck me incredibly...a photo of Martha Stewart sitting in a field and looking very much alone. It was a poignant photograph.

Hi Elsiee
Many people enjoy browsing and strolling there. Hot days are not the best.

Hi Kate
You're right. It is a great place for photos. You have to have lots of patience though!

Hi Ken
Interesting about Annie's neighbors. Hm. I'd love to know more about that.

Hi Eliane
I absolutely share your feelings. I can't stand going there but I keep going back for food and photos.

Hi Fish
Lol. Fortunately the street is located in an area that you can avoid. I can see how someone might never venture south of Soho.

Hi Paz
Love to know what you think of Liebovitz's work. I think you either like her or not. There isn't much in-between.