-- --

Sunday, October 18, 2009

On Shopping on West 4th and My Insider's Guide

West 4th Sale, NYC
Photo by myself on West 4th Street and Sixth Avenue, in the Village.

An offering of tote bags and vests were draped along a wrought iron fence. You can buy all sorts of stuff on the street. Many artists sell their paintings, sculpture, jewelry, hats and clothing.

--

I was in very briefly Saturday for a haircut and to take some photos. It was rainy and a bit cold.

The salon I go to, Sei Tomoko, is excellent. They have a three locations: one on West 4th and Sixth, the others in the East Village. The rates are reasonable - about $45 for a women's haircut, with a discount for students. I've gone there for years and have never been disappointed.

A haircut includes a short but wonderful shiatsu massage after your hair is washed. As you can tell from the name, Sei Tomoko is a Japanese establishment. The staff is Japanese and adorable, calling out in unison 'Thank you!' at your departure.

Those stories about spending $250 for a haircut in New York are misleading. It doesn't take megabucks to live here. You can find fine places like Sei Tomoko through word-of-mouth or a little research.

I'll be posting more about such affordable services and cheap eats, under the tag 'insider guide'.

Related posts: Shopping on St. Mark's Place, The Apple Store Continued and Eco-Friendly Cardboard Design.

2 comments:

Virginia said...

Love the wares all hanging so artfully on the fence. I'll stay with my stylists here but If I'm ever in NYC in need of a cut, I'll look up your place. Merci.
V

dianasfaria.com said...

I can't wait to hear more, nice capture of this scene Kitty!