-- --

Friday, February 12, 2010

On Performances Underground and on the Runway

Erhu player, 34th Street station
Photo by myself at the 34th Street subway station.

On the subway platform, a man played the erhu, a two-stringed instrument that is played like a cello. I took this photo on my way into work.

--

The fashion world has been startled by the death of Alexander McQueen, Thursday. It's sad timing, since the Fall 2010 runway shows are going on now in Bryant Park.

I walked by the park just the other day. There were trucks lined up on Sixth Avenue and the main tent was up and running. As I wrote during the Spring Collections a few months ago, most of New York isn't affected by the shows. The shows take place in isolated locations and only a few lucky New Yorkers are invited to attend.

The fashion shows are on now through next Thursday, February 18th. The Times has a jam-packed section devoted exclusively to the events. You can see it here.

Related posts: Pulling Strings on the Subway Platform, On the Subway Platform and Late Night TV and On Taking Candids.

5 comments:

dianasfaria.com said...

that is sad about Mr. McQueen, he was so young! & I'm sure this weeks runway shows are feeling it.

Joanne said...

I really love your people shots, I have a feeling New York is soon a calling port again soon:)

Luis Gomez said...

Another beautiful shot!

Joanne said...

Counting windows is from the top of the rockerfeller center!

Pat said...

I had a friend who committed suicide, and always wonder what he'd be doing today if he had stuck around....sad.

Re: your photo, I saw many men playing this instrument in Chinatown, but not in the subway. But that was in the summer and now it's cold!