-- --

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Commuting in the Hood, on the Atlantic/Pacific Platform

Gadgets on the subway platform
Photo by myself on the platform of the Atlantic/Pacific subway station.

Just about everyone immerses him or herself in a handheld device during the daily commute. People were reading their Kindles, playing shoot-em-up games and listening to music Tuesday evening.

As you can see, all Brooklynites look like they shop at The Gap. The prevailing aesthetic is 'non-descript comfy'.

Once in a blue moon, you will spot someone in a fashion color or a suit.

Related posts: Waiting for the Train, at Atlantic/Pacific Streets, Passing the Time, Underground and On Shopping on West 4th and My Insider's Guide.

11 comments:

Olivier said...

bien vu tous les gens sur le quai avec leurs portables (ou autres), c'etait un FLASH-MOB ;o))

Robert said...

I love taking the subway! All those different people together... it's cool to see how different everyone is.

Joanne said...

Universal images! Just got back from Japan and this is exactly the same as there!!

Pat said...

Ha, this is a GREAT photo!! All eyes down! I must admit I bought a Kindle and have downloaded my first book on global wireless! What fun.

lewi14@gmail.com said...

Very busy people! Nobody is talking!

Leif Hagen said...

I'd fit right in, checking my Blackberry - gotta check my emails and my twitter and my blog!

lissa said...

that is the norm, I see this all the time and I do stop at this station a lot

is it just me or do you seem to be photographing places I've been? it's a coincident of cause, but sometimes it makes me wonder how people can be going in the same direction but never knew it

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

What a hysterical shot of everyone in the universal handheld device pose! Already thumbs have replaced the index finger as the most agile digit. I wonder if we will eventually evolve to have a naturally curved spine to better accommodate texting etcetera.

elsie said...

i hadn't noticed the lack of color and style until you pointed it out - your really captured the collective intropection!

Ken Mac said...

it's amazing all the noses buried in electronic devices

dianasfaria.com said...

it's amazing how so many strangers so close together can be so absorbed in their own worlds.
great photo Kitty.