-- --

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

At the Base of Merchant's Gate, Central Park South

Central Park Statue
Photo by myself at Columbus Circle, at 59th Street and Central Park West.

This fountain is actually part of Merchant's Gate, one of four main entrances to Central Park.

Built in the early 1900s, the Gate has one main column that is topped with a sculpted chariot pulled by seahorses. Gilded a bright gold, the sculpture is noticeable from a distance.

I like that you can see the chariot sculpture from faraway. When you're up close to the Gate, you are simply too captivated by the fountains and sculpture to look up.

Here's a photo I took of Merchant's Gate during the winter, with a view of the sculptured top.

Related posts: One Really Big Fountain, Along the Edge of Central Park and Shooting (Film) in the Park.

4 comments:

Olivier said...

cette porte de Central Park est très belle, j'aime bien la version hivernale

dianasfaria.com said...

ahhh! I feel like I am in Rome again, sort of!

Anonymous said...

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?

Unknown said...

classic