-- --

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Down Under, Downtown

Subway Entrance, NYC
Photo by myself, somewhere downtown.

Some of the descents to the underground subway are also storefronts. This one downtown sells recycled watches and phones.

I'm sure going down this stairwell this first time must be dubious - what's around the corner? Or more importantly, who?

--

Well, I missed my first post in over two years, yesterday. Life has been crazy busy in the stressful sense, mostly work-related.

As you might know, Mark and I are engaged, but the wedding planning hasn't even begun. (I am secretly hoping we lapse into common-law marriage, since we're living together, and skip the ceremony). Soon, I'm sure it will be even busier.

I've only been to three weddings held in Manhattan, two of those last summer. Figuring out a venue, reception and housing for visitors can add up. Quickly. Other New York friends have held their ceremonies in locations like Cape Cod, Long Island, New Jersey and Hawaii.

It's also easier to coordinate people outside of the traffic that happens here. We're still undecided about place. Suggestions welcomed!

Related posts: Model Behavior, Downtown, Dusk at 72nd Street Station and Hitting the Newsstand Underground.

13 comments:

Olivier said...

un mariage a Hawai cela doit etre pas mal ;)

Anonymous said...

Yet another lively picture. I love your blog.

Anonymous said...

I suppose it is better than going into a dark alley. It looks clean and neat to me.

Marcia said...

Going down the subway steps for the first time can be daunting, but the mosaics and other things that await you can be awesome.

Leif Hagen said...

Great framing on this shot and I feel like I'm standing on the top step on my way down!
Congratulations on your engagement - great! I don't even want to think about the costs of a wedding in NYC! Ouch!

dianasfaria.com said...

Oh my gosh, I know I might miss a day or two of your posts here and there, but how did I miss the one about you becoming engaged! Congratulations!
Silly me actually thought you were already married!
Long Island has some nice castles and mansions people rent out for such occasions. Usually they rent out a part of the building & then get the caterer and music separately.
Then there is the good old VFW hall, but they have less of a view and the inside is plain, which people won't notice so much if the music and food is really good.
I wonder if they have VFW halls in Brooklyn? They may be more interesting there.
Yay for you & Mark!
Love your photo btw!

Washington said...

Congratulations for your engagement! I wish only the best for you!

Anonymous said...

Makes one wonder how it looks "down under" in my own town. Thank you for the inspiration. Please have you all a wonderful Friday.

daily athens

Spandrelstudios said...

What wonderful news - hearty congratulations to you and Mark! You'll figure it all out and the wedding will come together before you know it!

Kunal Bhatia said...

That's lovely lighting in the photograph. And congratulations!
- Mindless Mumbai

Unknown said...

I was wondering what happened to you yesterday. Love your photos.

biebkriebels said...

Come to Amsterdam for your wedding. Look at my blog June 9, 40years ago I was married there in a boat through the canals with friends and family. Very romantic.

Pat said...

Congratulations first of all! I too am preparing for a wedding--my son's, this summer.

My NYC friend lives in Elmhurst and this almost looks like her subway entrance. She's got a barber down there!