-- --

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Artsy Fartsy


The other night, Mark and I met a few of his buddies at an art opening in Williamsburg. There were graffiti-inspired pasteboard 'paintings' selling for 12 thousand bucks, some collage installations and a row of skateboards.

There was a good-sized crowd, even though the opening took place on an obscure side street among warehouses. What I loved more than the art is the 'scene'. It looked like everyone ran home from work and put on their most anonymous black, green or brown clothing.

Thing is, it's usually the same color palette. In Williamsburg, it's washed denim and cotton. Above 14th Street, it's wool, gabardine or cashmere. In Soho, it's something glitzier with some stretch. Whatever the material, the key was to look like you weren't trying too hard.




Mark and all his guy friends are creative. There was an art director, a music producer and a photographer. Because of their talents, each could qualify as a 'Metrosexual', that strange breed of urban guy who is creative, straight and verrrry particular.

I'd go further to say that these fellows are 'macho Metrosexuals', which means they creative, without being overtly 'gay' (not that there's anything wrong with it). Mark does not have more facial products than I do. His typical costume is sneakers, sweater, jeans and stubble. Then he can take a photograph or decorate a room better than me any day.




I used to go gallery-hopping in Soho and Chelsea for fun. The other night brought back memories - swooping in, homing in on the alcohol, nodding politely at the 'art', then leaving after a respectable minute.

This time, Mark and I only stayed for a beer. Ravenous, we went in search of dinner, leaving the party behind.




Note: I now realize that my definition of 'Metrosexual' might be completely whack. Wikipedia says 'Metrosexual is a neologism generally applied to heterosexual men with a strong concern for their appearance, and who display many of the lifestyle tendencies of stereotypical gay men'. There's nothing in there about being creative.

In my head, though, creativity was always a part of it. My definition would be 'a heterosexual, creative man living in a city, who has a strong concern for his appearance and everything around him.' Or maybe my idea of displaying 'many of the lifestyle tendencies of stereotypical gay men' represents the creative part?

*Sigh*. My confusion stems from living in the city and being in a creative field way too long.


Photos by myself, in Williamsburg.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, thank you so much for stopping by and leaving such a lovely comment on my blog. I am feeling better today - stopped wallowing and being pathetic. And you are so right re the exercise thing - I do a lot but can't when the children are here (well, I suppose throwing things around the kitchen in a temper is exercise of sorts!).

It interesting to dip into other people's worlds - it's one of the beauty of blogs for me. In my world - the somewhat fusty world of academia - gatherings are not overflowing with Metrosexual men. Cords and tweed jackets are still the order of the day in academia and brown is the colour rather than black and the thought of any of them using any facial or hair products made me laugh out loud!

Kitty said...

Hey, I'm so glad you feel better. We're allowed.

I'd love to know more about the academia part. I considered it for a while after school but decided I couldn't handle the bullshit. haha.

Happy Sunday evening to you

Anonymous said...

oh, how i miss the rhythm of nyc!! :)