-- --

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Taking a Glance at Columbus Circle

Columbus Circle
Photo by myself near Columbus Circle, at 59th Street and Central Park West.

The Trump International Hotel at One Central Park, has hung up evergreen boughs along its brass canopy. Below, the doorman talks to a waiting driver.

--

I've noticed recently that I hardly take black and white photos anymore. I can't say this is on purpose, because the 'black and white' images are originally taken in color. It's just that I've gotten a little better with my picture taking, so the color ones don't look so terrible.

There is something about New York and black and white images, though. It's a city of high contrasts. It's a city of classic looks. There are often sharp angles, and deep shadows. And there's often such a mix of different color schemes, that black and white just makes sense.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Related posts: Now, On Center Stage, East (Side) Versus (West) Side and At The Brooklyn Museum - The Dizzying World of Murakami.

4 comments:

Fredrik said...

What a strong b&w picture!
I wish you a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Anil P said...

There's something incredibly alluring about black and white pictures and great cities.

Wish you a Merry Christmas.

Ken Mac said...

a cold day in the old town!

dianasfaria.com said...

I think all of your photos always look great and just keep getting better all of the time.
Merry whatever you celebrate Kitty!
& Happy New Year to you & yours.
; )